Hewlett-Packard - Great first job out of college. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

"Great first job out of college."

Current Employee - IT Developer in Austin, TX
Current Employee - IT Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- People are generally friendly; very few "snobs".

- Flex time and lots of opportunity to work from home.

- You will work with people across the globe. This could count as a Con at times, though!

- Lots of opportunity for career development within the company.

- Great name to put on your resume.

Cons

- Geographically-distributed teams make collaboration difficult at times.

- No opportunity/budget for travel (at least in my group; previous manager told me "you have a telephone" when I inquired about traveling for training).

- The sheer size of HP makes you feel a bit unimportant if you are a low-level employee.

- Asia/Pacific teams usually require close coordination with Americas team members to be effective; expect to be on many late-night/early-morning conference calls!

- Flex time/WFH capability can lead to an "always working" situation if you are not careful. Managers have (in my experience) started to expect some of us to be available basically 24/7, including weekends.

- Facilities (at least at the Austin site) are a bit lacking. No covered parking and a general "90s" feel to the building. It's not an office I enjoy driving to every day. The Real Estate group is attempting to resolve this, but I have not seen any real movement since the spring.

- Pay raises and bonuses are based entirely on your manager. Get a poor manager (as I did when I joined), don't expect a raise or bonus. Particularly frustrating when you see other people in similar positions getting paid more because their team/manager is better.

- Getting anything done work-wise requires going through lots of paperwork (inevitably through HP-developed "tools") and dealing with many different governance groups. Getting even the slightest thing done is usually a very difficult process that ends up taking way too long. This is the area HP could most improve in - streamlining the different processes and getting rid of the red tape. Attempts have been made at this but I don't think they have been very successful.

- Your experience will depend entirely on your group. Mine is not that great. YMMV.

I realize there are many more cons than pros, but such is the nature of most online reviews!

Advice to Management

Visit the Austin site more often. You guys show up once every six months and then disappear. It doesn't give us a very good feeling, and I think this can be partially blamed for the huge amount of attrition in fall 2012.

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

1. "There are better places to work"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Richmond, VA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

While HP’s products are no where near what they used to be in terms of innovation, quality, support, etc., they still do have a few good products to sell.

Cons

HP has way too many products and has way too many people calling on the same customers selling different things. Customers want a single point of contact and HP can’t figure out how to integrate multiple product lines into a single account team

Advice to Management

HP leadership needs to develop a comprehensive strategy that works and stick with it. In the past strategy would change on a regular basis, the company is floundering and the messaging is not clear

2. "Senior Program Director"

Current Employee - Senior Program Director in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Program Director in Plano, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Visibility to upper management, setting directions, strategy, goals. Leading the team(s) with with a vision as well as taking advantage of the growth opportunity that are out there in the marketplace. Learning more about the emerging markets to be able to better lead the team(s).

Cons

Too frequent changes in the leadership team causing to lose momentum and focus. Not a great employee appreciation system in place to keep the employee motivated. A simple/small decision making process could take longer that a complicated/big one.

Advice to Management

Need to have a better employee appreciation process in place where the reward system should be utilized every quarter or so. Need to have better stable leaders in the upper management. Better growth opportunity.