Hewlett-Packard - After 5 years, still a great place to work... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

"After 5 years, still a great place to work..."

Current Employee - Srv Developer in Madison, WI
Current Employee - Srv Developer in Madison, WI

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Many positions allow very flexible hours, which accommodates day-care issues, They try to listen to everyone's ideas.

Cons

Only look at billing the clients, make sure you are 95% billable... Training to stay on the bleeding edge is on your time.

Advice to Management

Give us the tools we need to stay on the edge...

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

1. "I was a long term employee I enjoyed the people and the job. Liked HP's Products and Solutions."

Current Employee - Process and Capabilities Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Process and Capabilities Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, products, services, solutions.

Cons

Limited pay increases for performance that exceeded expectations. Limited career development opportunity

Advice to Management

Need to value experienced employees - be an advocate and work with them for career advancement

"Great first job out of college."

Current Employee - IT Developer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - IT Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- People are generally friendly; very few "snobs".

- Flex time and lots of opportunity to work from home.

- You will work with people across the globe. This could count as a Con at times, though!

- Lots of opportunity for career development within the company.

- Great name to put on your resume.

Cons

- Geographically-distributed teams make collaboration difficult at times.

- No opportunity/budget for travel (at least in my group; previous manager told me "you have a telephone" when I inquired about traveling for training).

- The sheer size of HP makes you feel a bit unimportant if you are a low-level employee.

- Asia/Pacific teams usually require close coordination with Americas team members to be effective; expect to be on many late-night/early-morning conference calls!

- Flex time/WFH capability can lead to an "always working" situation if you are not careful. Managers have (in my experience) started to expect some of us to be available basically 24/7, including weekends.

- Facilities (at least at the Austin site) are a bit lacking. No covered parking and a general "90s" feel to the building. It's not an office I enjoy driving to every day. The Real Estate group is attempting to resolve this, but I have not seen any real movement since the spring.

- Pay raises and bonuses are based entirely on your manager. Get a poor manager (as I did when I joined), don't expect a raise or bonus. Particularly frustrating when you see other people in similar positions getting paid more because their team/manager is better.

- Getting anything done work-wise requires going through lots of paperwork (inevitably through HP-developed "tools") and dealing with many different governance groups. Getting even the slightest thing done is usually a very difficult process that ends up taking way too long. This is the area HP could most improve in - streamlining the different processes and getting rid of the red tape. Attempts have been made at this but I don't think they have been very successful.

- Your experience will depend entirely on your group. Mine is not that great. YMMV.

I realize there are many more cons than pros, but such is the nature of most online reviews!

Advice to Management

Visit the Austin site more often. You guys show up once every six months and then disappear. It doesn't give us a very good feeling, and I think this can be partially blamed for the huge amount of attrition in fall 2012.