Hewlett-Packard - Focus is back on the customer and employees | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

"Focus is back on the customer and employees"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Product Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Reinvestment - a word often promised, but seldom delivered on in American companies, is happening at HP. Talent from declining businesses has been moved to growing businesses.
Advice to employees, don't sit around waiting for an opportunity to fall in your lap, and don't just submit your resume to the online system. Get out there - it's a big company, there are lots of hungry organizations.

It's nice to see professional employees being valued once again. I have what amounts to a peer relationship with my manager and director. They are smart, resourceful, and very knowledgeable in the technology of my business. The way it should be.

There's a lot of very smart people at HP. The prior slash and burn regime is gone, they stuck around too long. A one trick pony to prop up stock prices only. The customers and the employees suffered. Rather than acquiring companies, riding their profits for a year and dismissing the employees, HP is now focused on investments.

I am glad to see we have ostensibly a competent board of directors, and a president who has core values that extend beyond the income statement.

Three years ago, this place was depressing, everyone felt threatened. The only good side to all the layoffs is that much of the dead wood is gone. Almost everyone I work with is very competent.

I moved laterally to another organization and couldn't be happier from a development point of view. Life is all about the choices you make. Don't depend on any company to create a career path for you. You make your own bed, whether it be IBM or Google.

I am also happy to see salary raises back again. The days of "print your own anniversary certificate" seem to have passed.

Finally I am glad to see a number of the old regime guard hit the road (thank you Meg.)

No, not everything has been off-shored. There is a lot of original, creative new product development going on in the USA. We have a substantial force in Bangalore, but we've reached a healthy balance of talent.

Cons

I understand what others say about managers who track to the "Peter Principle". Unfortunately, there will always be some of those type around. As another reviewer said,

I retain reservations about the future of the company until I see Meg Whitman actually fulfill her promise to turn things around. If she can't, she'll be out the door it will be hell around here.

Advice to Management

For line managers and directors, value your people, take seriously their advice and make the decisions developed by your team. Be in the trenches, give your team free reign and always offer to help.

For executives, keep your promises. Maintain professional integrity. If your employees are successful, then you will be successful. Support them. Let money talk (this is capitalism, isn't it?) that gets everyone's attention. Be transparent and accessible. These are things that have been lacking for the past 7 years. Good luck.

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

1. "# 1 Technology Leader"

Current Employee - IT Developer in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - IT Developer in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

One of the best companies for career growth

Cons

Need to revise education reimbursement education programs

2. "Car"

Current Employee - Enterprise Architect in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Enterprise Architect in Austin, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

HP cares and listens to its employees. There a lot of opportunities for leadership. Flexible work schedule.

Cons

There is a lot of work and management has very aggressive schedules.