Hewlett-Packard - HP Family Life | Glassdoor

"HP Family Life"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working here has been a great experience. The opportunities to change jobs is better than leaving the company. They want to keep you and not get rid of you.

Cons

Obviously, no start-up perks (free food and drinks). Also, may be boring for those who need to be pushed along and told what to do.

Advice to Management

Reward those who know their jobs well, and who contribute to the success of the products.

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

"Too big and bloated"

Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No pros really. I joined via an acquisition and I went from a 2000 person company to a 200,000 person company. All the benefits that used exist at HP were phased out in the name of cost cutting.

Cons

Too big. Too bloated. Too bureaucratic. Too many policies and rules in place. The only people I know that stayed were the people who wanted a safe job and could take some abuse. I came from a fast agile company with very few layers of management. In professional services we were generating 30% margins. Post HP acquisition we added at least 2 management layers and lost money. Of course, they blamed it on our expenses (which were 90% billed to the client anyway).

We had multiple re-orgs all in the name of efficiency and all ran by multiple layers of management who insisted they added value. I used to work at a place where success was driven by our organization's focus on our product. Once I joined HP our in-flight projects were all axed because we competed with internal projects which were still on the drawing board.

Advice to Management

Try truly innovating and focusing on the company instead of shareholders. It might hurt in the short run but it will payoff in the long run. And definitely revisit all the layers of middle management that you have. I would say most of them are more concerned about justifying their existence than producing for the company.

2. "IT Oracle Technical Lead"

Former Employee - Technical Oracle Consultant in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Oracle Consultant in Plano, TX

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I don't have any good things to say about my short experience with HP.

Cons

HP purchased the company I worked at for 15 years. They cut everyones salary by 20% and vacation if it was over 5 weeks. Then in waves, laid everyone off during a 2 year period.