Hewlett-Packard - I've worked for many technology companies over the years and this one leaves a bad taste. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

"I've worked for many technology companies over the years and this one leaves a bad taste."

Former Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Denver, CO
Former Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Denver, CO

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I joined this company with hopes of sharing a technology that I thought would be a difference maker and exciting to sell. I really think the technology is solid.

Cons

Too many skeletons in customer closets. Too many clients that have been burned w/broken promises. This negative information undermines any effort to sell new clients. Management by fear and intimidation has to go. A revolving door of talent. HP is always looking for a replacement body. Training new people is a constant at Autonomy/HP. After 1 year with this company I was one of (3) people left that were in my initial training class of 32. I lasted 1 1/2 years and left completely frustrated.

Advice to Management

Autonomy management that has stayed on from acquisition needs to go. They may be performing and making their numbers but don't be fooled, they're bad apples. There is no effort to provide customer satisfaction and do the right thing for clients.

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

1. "Worked years ago, Hope the company values remain the same"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Miami, FL

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

shared same values with employees

Cons

Some managers micro-managed and made it uncomfortable

Advice to Management

Keep the Hewlett Packard Way if it still existgs

"Too big and bloated"

Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No pros really. I joined via an acquisition and I went from a 2000 person company to a 200,000 person company. All the benefits that used exist at HP were phased out in the name of cost cutting.

Cons

Too big. Too bloated. Too bureaucratic. Too many policies and rules in place. The only people I know that stayed were the people who wanted a safe job and could take some abuse. I came from a fast agile company with very few layers of management. In professional services we were generating 30% margins. Post HP acquisition we added at least 2 management layers and lost money. Of course, they blamed it on our expenses (which were 90% billed to the client anyway).

We had multiple re-orgs all in the name of efficiency and all ran by multiple layers of management who insisted they added value. I used to work at a place where success was driven by our organization's focus on our product. Once I joined HP our in-flight projects were all axed because we competed with internal projects which were still on the drawing board.

Advice to Management

Try truly innovating and focusing on the company instead of shareholders. It might hurt in the short run but it will payoff in the long run. And definitely revisit all the layers of middle management that you have. I would say most of them are more concerned about justifying their existence than producing for the company.