Hewlett-Packard - Little opportunity, little acknowledgement, little support, little pay | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

"Little opportunity, little acknowledgement, little support, little pay"

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Large company with brand name recognition. HP has several branches that have global reach.

Cons

There was a culture of churn-and-burn through the individual contributor level employee. When we brought up our need for more resources to be able to sustain our forecasted workload, after our team of 5 had each worked 45+ hours of overtime in a 2 week period, our manager "encouraged us to work more overtime" in order to keep up.

Upper management had an immense sense of entitlement. My team was told from the department director "If you have any problems, please let me know. But don't call me directly, you can reach my secretary and she will route the issue appropriately." Mid-level management was either coached to ignore individual contributor suggestions for improvement, or they were kept as far out of the loop as their subordinates.

Top performers were constantly passed over for promotions due to bureaucracy. The multiple organization trees segregated the individual contributor track from the management track which kept high performing knowledgeable people at the lower levels while shuffling around people managers with little incumbent knowledge of the department or operations at the top.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people. Watch for talent within your organizations. Acknowledge and reward your own people. Adopt a better pay structure.

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

"sales engineer"

Pros

big company a lot of opportunities

Cons

slow internal processes. Things move slow internally

"This was a great company, but it has gone downhill."

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working with top-notch engineers.

Cons

HP seems to have a hard time figuring out what business it is in. Many projects where cancelled after a few months.

Advice to Management

Figure out what business you are in and stick to it. Engineers will gain a better competitive edge if they work in the same area for a longer period of time.
    Return to an emphasis on quality. HP products I've used of late (laptops and printers) have decreased so much in quality that I won't buy them any more. This has hurt the value of the HP brand, and it will be difficult to re-earn the reputation HP used to have.
    Emphasize win/win situations for HP and its customers. Toward the end of my time at HP, HP only seemed to want to suck as much money out of customers as possible.