Hewlett-Packard - IT | Glassdoor

"IT"

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It was a very good company.

Cons

Original core values seemed to take a back seat.

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

1. "Too many processes"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time

Pros

Good name to have work for, pay is on time, lots to learn

Cons

Forced vacation days, Management that doesn't listen, Low Pay

Advice to Management

Grab some gumption and stand up for your employees, we have good ideas but you aren't listening. You don't have to worry about more forced lay-offs, we are leaving in droves, especially ISS. I'm leaving the first chance I get. There is total lack of management and lack of service to employees and clients. The focus is more on processes, metrics, and cutbacks than caring for the customer's need. No wonder Dell is in the lead for customer service. As long as HP keeps stuffing up their ears and not listening to the voices of experienced management, new blood, and highly educated and experience personnel: HP will die. The HP Way is dead! Not proud to work here any more.

"My bright co-workers and ready company resources made HP an easy place to work hard and learn much."

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I was able to work from home with flexible work hours. I was allowed to use linux on my workstation and to use my own computers and I was encouraged to work with open source software.

I worked with computer programmers who had more than 25 years of experience and had been on well known software projects from Sun and Microsoft and others. With this environment, I learned significantly more about good software engineering practices than I have at the start-ups I have worked at since then.

I was frequently encouraged to find and work on the software features that interested me, and I was given freedom to investigate and develop the code I was interested in.

I was always quickly given the hardware and software resources I needed to best perform my work.

Cons

I was frequently told I was up for a promotion, but I was then always told that it was not the right time because of budget concerns and company structure changes. I was kept at 5-10% raises but never saw a promotion despite gaining more responsibilities as a team lead.

Advice to Management

Promote high performers even if they aren't negotiators (we do eventually leave or find out that despite our role and experience we are making half the salary that the entry-level engineer next to us is making).