Hewlett-Packard - Good company with work life balance, experience will vary with group | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

"Good company with work life balance, experience will vary with group"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance is good. Parking lot is empty after 6 pm
HP brand is respected
Well established company with good values

Cons

Under market pay
Massive company, getting things done is slow

Advice to Management

Innovate make more money hire better talent, repeat

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

1. "Great opportunities to advance your career, no chance to increase your salary."

Current Employee - Program Manager in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Boise, ID

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Overall, HP has been a great company to work for. I started as an entry level engineer and worked hard to deliver outstanding results. HP rewarded me with promotion after promotion and gave me harder projects with more and more responsibility. I now lead large cross-functional teams through projects that are critical to the division's bottom line. Most managers that I've had are good with one being top notch.

Cons

There is no correlation with your results and salary/bonus. Despite promotions and increasingly difficult projects, my total compensation has increased by just 1.2% per year over 8 years. My largest pay increase was 5%, but that was done because I hadn't been on the pay scale for 2 years.
    The company hasn't been doing great financially and that forces management to do some weird things. Layoffs are constant and no one's compensation has increased; the environment has slowly changed from "team first" to "cut throat". It has become a very political working environment which you must be able to navigate to stay on board. If you can't figure it out you are just one layoff away from getting canned. I've seen it year after year. I have it figured out but don't like having to play this game - I prefer a team environment where you focus on the work and where management trusts you. I also feel like I'm taken advantage of (financially) because of my natural drive and talents. HP somehow must think they can keep me because of the great area where we live, but there comes a point where you have to move on. Bottom line - DON'T trust the higher level management team (at least in Boise).

Advice to Management

Focus on employees first, then the financials will fall in line. High level management still does not understand this. Employees do not trust you and work in fear.

2. "Ok place to be an engineer"

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work life balance is good

Cons

Lots of outsourcing overseas, salary is low

Advice to Management

Fund internal projects