Hewlett-Packard - Hewlett-Packard | Glassdoor

"Hewlett-Packard"

Pros

Large company, looks good on a resume. If you are a marginal employee, it will not be noticed too much.

Cons

Benefits are not among the best, even though they have a great bargaining chip with 300K employees, promotions are non-existant, as are raises. Performance based bonuses are a joke.

Advice to Management

Remember the people that work to make this company what it is. If you take care of them, they will work hard to take care of the company.

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

"I wish I could say it was getting better..."

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

Pros

In some jobs you will have the ability to work from home. I wish I could think of more to say other than I haven't been laid off yet.

Cons

Wow, where do I start... This is my second review of HP and a lot has changed since my first. There was a pay cut for IC salaried employees. They have stopped paying for a home office phone even though they are encouraging more folks to work from home. They do not reimburse you for a cell phone (unless you are in sales or at a Director level or higher) even though they want you accessible 24X7 nor do they reimburse for your internet connectivity for remote network access. We were also required to allocate vacation days to the 2009 Christmas/New Years holiday break so if you don't have much vacation to begin with they're telling you when you have to take it. If not, you were forced to take unpaid leave during the break. They have also cut out the option to carry over vacation so that will make it even more difficult to allocate time to their imposed breaks.

In addition, the 2009 profit sharing bonus was a small fraction of last years (which was single digit, do the math...) and, for the 6th year in a row, no raises. Factor that in with the pay cut and cost of living increases and that means that many of us actually make less than we did 5-10 years ago. Benefits have also been reduced while the out-of-pocket employee expense has gone up. I'm personally spending more each month out-of-pocket in 2010 than 2009 for less coverage. Working at HP is a pay check at this point in time and the aura of being an HP employee is long gone. Hurd and his immediate executive team continue to rake in multi-million dollar compensation packages while we're now told "just doing your job does not cut it anymore." We are expected to go well above and beyond our job duties just to keep our jobs and getting no benefit for much longer hours. Forced ranking is alive and well at HP even though HR claim it is not their policy. They actually have the gall to claim they don't force rank yet publish slides showing the bell curve with ranking distributions!

They have the rank and file over a barrel with this economy and they know it. It will be interesting to see how they react if/when the economy turns around and all of the good employees they've shafted over the years begin to find other employment. They've gotten rid of the dead weight long ago and they'll soon realize management was not what made this company successful. If you're considering a job at HP, I would recommend that you exhaust all other options first and then be sure to negotiate the best deal possible before you accept. Once you get in the door, advancement is virtually impossible.

Advice to Management

Stop giving the employees lip service. If you don't want a mass exodus when the economy improves you'd be well advised to give out some raises (COLA plus merit), nice bonuses, small benefits like phone reimbursements, etc. We see the executives getting the lion's share of bonus money with the scraps going to the peons. Your individual contributors are the foundation of this company. You won't continue to be propped up when the foundation begins to crumble.

"Ok place to work"

Former Employee - Quality Engineer
    Former Employee - Quality Engineer

Pros

-work life balance
    -Big company name
    -some good developers
    -some director level is also very technical also sharing the knowledge

Cons

- showing is the major not your work, this makes people frustrated.
    - too many meetings
    - facilities are not that good.

Advice to Management

Be more technical and make information released openly.
    assign work in a more balanced way, people all do the tech jobs and share the boring daily work.