Hewlett-Packard - Good in the beginning... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

"Good in the beginning..."

Current Employee - Project Manager in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)
Current Employee - Project Manager in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

Pros

It's a very dynamic environment and you'll always be dealing with new projects, new technologies, new people. Can't get bored!

Cons

No clear career path; recognition is usually a pat on the back and bonus is almost inexistent and when you earn it, it sucks; never sat down with my leader to discuss where I can get on my career inside HP; never participated on a formal training on a class to learn new things because I've never had time to do so and my client would not wait for me to be trained and my leader would always press me to "learn as you go" instead of attending classes; etc.

Advice to Management

- Get interested in your employee's aspirations
- Help him plot the course to accomplish the employee's objectives/goals on the company
- Recognize the accomplishments accordingly (not just a pat on the back, but bonus AND promotions with salary increase!)

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

"Committed?"

Pros

Outstanding competence and personal integrity among legacy HP coworkers.
    Ability to manage my local team essentially hands-off.
    Worldwide teamwork in our business group is very good.

Cons

Incessant take-aways of benefits.
    Dilbertspeak/Newspeak whereby "benchmarking" became a code for "if someone can pay less and offer lower benefits, we will, too."
    Change in management orientation from long-term to short-term.

Advice to Management

One of our senior execs was quoted at a speech in China that HP was "in China, for China." We had to read that in the external press. Why not a commitment to the US and US employees?

"Nothing special about HP."

Pros

Many locations around the world. It's a job now, and I'm glad to have it. Direct manager is a great boss.

Cons

Short sighted changes made to make quarterly numbers look good. CEO is not employee focused. HR program changes, pay and benefits changes demonstrate this.

Advice to Management

Some of the 'HP Way' methods actually DID motivate employees to do their best., like Profit Sharing. Maybe you should reconsider changing back to some of those ways if you want HP to be successful. It takes all employees to make HP sucessful, not just the few higher rated ones.