Hewlett-Packard - Engineering is a dying skill at HP | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

"Engineering is a dying skill at HP"

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Vancouver, WA
Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Vancouver, WA

Pros

The Engineers and peers at HP are top notch. I would gladly work with anyone on the site again. The Engineers are highly skilled and very motivated. Lower level management is doing the best that they can with what little tools that they have been given.

Cons

The company has turned it's back on the employees. We are regarded as liabilities rather than the assets that we really are. The bottom lines of the real estate and IT groups are more important than actually serving the workforce and enabling us to do our jobs.
There is a real sense that Mark Hurd hates paying to develop products and that he would much rather just buy up companies that design a product.
Benefits have eroded completely since I started at HP, and I no longer have any sense of loyalty to HP.
Most design work at HP is now outsourced.

Advice to Management

Start realizing that your employees ARE your company. Without us, there would be no products and no revenue. We already have a steady loss of the top talent, and once the economy turns around, nothing that you can offer us will keep your key employees around.

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

"HP SC IT"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Austin, TX

Pros

Flexibility of work schedule, some travel available, many learning opportunities.

Cons

Management ethics is poor. Its a smile and stab you in the back mentality. There is an underlying expectation that worker productivity should increase despite no rewards for employees. There is so much red tape involved in executing work that escalations often fall on deaf ears while the submitter is held accountable. There has been much discussion that the bar is being raised higher, while really its expectations are becoming more unrealistic.

Advice to Management

Treat employees better, else the good ones will leave, and your middle managers will really struggle to pick up the pieces. The strategy of frustrating employees out of the company by overloading with work will just create a bad work environment for years to come.

2. "Where is the innovation in "Invent"?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Pros

I felt that I was well compensated. I enjoyed the sense of team. I thought that the caliber of employee was very high.

Cons

Too politcal. Middle level management was not willing to take risks. The culture does not support innovation. HP is slow to market with leading technology.

Advice to Management

Take chances. Create an entrepenuerial culture. Too many processes are required to get anything done with hamstrings innovation. Be less focused on the analytics and more focused on the market.