Hewlett-Packard - David Packard believed in integrity -- Current management does not know what it means | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

"David Packard believed in integrity -- Current management does not know what it means"

Current Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA

Pros

Big company, reasonable pay, won't miss you when you are gone. Co-workers - there are a lot of good people still there.

Cons

One useful definition of integrity is consistency between communication and action (or what you say, and what you do). Inside HP, an internal survey (the Voice of the Workforce, or VoW) is done, ostensibly to see what workers are concerned about (issues) so management can address these concerns. But management gets to ask the questions, so the resulting list of issues is largely irrelevant to most workers.
HP has given up on "layoffs" because they have to be announced, and that sometimes leads to bad press. Instead, there is a consistent program of terminating people based on hidden criteria, so most employees are just waiting for the axe. The ones who get it are lucky -- they usually get a small severance, and get to start over someplace else where the environment may not be so toxic.
Management seems to executing a hidden strategy of removing high cost workers with the axe, or even better, making the working environment bad enough that they leave on their own, eliminating the need for severance. Business units and jobs in the US and Europe decline, and those in Asia grow.
But as inexpensive as workers are in China, HP is not willing to pay those people well. I have personal knowledge of a unit in China that has lost several of its best people to other companies at higher salaries, sometimes much higher. Smart people know when they are underpaid.
HP thinks that buildings and office space are too expensive for engineers and other professionals. Never mind that design is a collaborative venture, and working on something together is usually more productive and more motivating than working on it alone, or that the social aspects of work are a big motivator for many people (notice how many comments there are about great co-workers?). HP does not think you deserve an office. So unless you can prove that you need one, you will be coming in (when you have to) and sitting in a floater cube. If you think the cubicle lifestyle is impersonal and demeaning, wait until you are put in a cubicle that is not even yours.
Which brings this back to integrity. The Voice of the Workforce creates issues lists, managers always talk about it in all of their coffee talks, people are assigned to committees, and a big show is produced designed to show that management cares. It does not. The real strategies of HP, as embodied in management policies are not what is being communicated by management. This is hypocrisy, the complete and utter lack of integrity.
HP management somehow thinks that the definition of integrity means not breaking the law, and they preach and trumpet integrity like a liar passionately insisting he is telling the truth. Here's another example. In most states, if you have accrued vacation and do not use it at the end of the year, it is forfeited (use it or lose it). In California, this practice is considered fraud, so employees in California have a provision for carryover, because vacation is considered as an earned benefit. So what is considered fraud in California is HP company policy in most other states. This puts the lie to any assertion that they treat their employees well.

Advice to Management

Please understand that for a technology company, the quality of individual contributors determines directly the success or failure of the company. Good people know what they are worth, and it doesn't matter if you talking about Chinese, or Hindi, or American engineers - trying to inflate profits and stock prices at the expense of individual contributors will cause them to leave, and you will not be able to deliver the products and services that your competitors can. HP is on a glide slope down, and will crash if the course is not changed.
David Packard had integrity. Learn what he meant by it. Read a book by Michael S Malone. Read glassdoor.com.

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

1. "Not a terrific place to work. However, can't complain too much because of recession / economy."

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Houston, TX

Pros

Pretty good work / life balance. I love the benefit of working from home as needed.

Decent entry pay, but nothing to shout about.

Cons

Lack of good training. I don't think I've ever been formally trained on my current job responsibilities.

A lot of work is simply done to look good, rather than provide true business value.

Terrible pay increases. Many folks who have been at HP for years make less than new hires. Bonuses are not good.

Advice to Management

I think in general HP senior management is competent and understands the dynamics of the technology industry -- that its goods / services are becoming more and more commoditized and cost-cutting and off-shoring is imperative to staying in business.

However, I feel like they could do better at showing that they truly value employees by doing things like: better pay increases for those who truly add business value, more vacation days, and better on-the-job training.

2. "HP was not so bad, if you like to have your pay cut so management can make bonuses."

Former Employee - Technical Solutions Representative III in Hoover, AL
    Former Employee - Technical Solutions Representative III in Hoover, AL

Pros

Our staff supported each other contstantly. When one rep discovered a solutution to a common problem, it was shared throughout the team. Knowledge sharing occured at the highest level of any tech organziztion I have ever worked with. Best team environment I have ever worked in.

Cons

After the merger between Bellsouth and at&t, we could see changes was coming. It was one and a half years later, but management finally put something out in puplic so we would know this for certain; IBM was awarded the contract for continuing pc, server, and network suppot. EDS was being taken off the account. This started a many of the people looking for other work, and sometimes leaving when the right position came along. Work with less staff, made it all the more stressfull for those still working to keep the account running. IBM did not communicate with EDS/HP very professionally, withheld time lines, personnel change impacts. Our last day was Dec 31, 1999, but we did not have a seperation conference between EDS/HP, AT&T, and IBM until November.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to communicate with admin and tech staff reguarly the last 6 months of the transistion disclosing plans to close the account and the time and event for each milestone. Each day, our staff felt like slaves at oars in the bottom of the giant battle ship. We are told not be concerned with what is going on outside, just keep rowwing as hard as you can, damn it!