Hewlett-Packard - Too many people managing up | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

"Too many people managing up"

Current Employee - Info Systems Architect IV in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Info Systems Architect IV in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Outcome oriented employer
Telecommuting flexibility (trending back to the office)
Interesting work environment.

Cons

Executive leadership transitory.
Too many middle managers managing up.
Management has little awareness of what is occurring in the field. i.e. it is not uncommon for others to take credit for your work.
Investments in the future are scattershot and inconsistent.
Relies far too often of the heroic efforts of good people.

Advice to Management

Realize all organizations support onsite customer work and telecommuting.
You have a long way to go before your recognition and advancement systems have anything to do with actual job performance.
Universal pay cuts and salary freezes will only accelerate your brain drain.
Cut middle management.

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

1. "My time at HP was a nightmare! Easily the WORST company I have ever worked at!"

Former Contractor - Executive Administrative Assistant
    Former Contractor - Executive Administrative Assistant

I worked at Hewlett-Packard as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I can not think of a single one!

Cons

Communication is obsolete here, the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing. The treatment I received as a "contingent" employee (temporary employee) was shameful to say the least. I never, at any time felt welcome or apart of the department I worked in. There are no opportunities offered to "contingent" employees, the managers ride around the building from meeting to meeting on their high horse and only come down to mingle with the common folk when there is a "problem" (usually a slip in schedule or a budget crisis, which in the department I worked in, was a constant). The managers I had the displeasure of working with are out for themselves and really do not care about anything other than making sure their particular group looks good. One in particular, seemed to enjoy flexing his power and didn't mind or think twice about seizing an opportunity to embarrass/belittle a co-worker in front of everyone. The cattiness of the managers was sickening as well. I could seriously go on and on with the list of cons, it's actually sad how low HP has sunk and yet surprising that they are still in business at all.

Advice to Management

Treat every employee with respect! Show a genuine concern for the well being of others. Offer training for "contingent" workers and treat them as if they are an HP employee not a sub-class worker. Shareholder's should really consider cleaning house. The people that are in charge of building moral and practicing basic ethics as role models for other employees are not in any way anyone I would ever look up to. I would literally pull my child out of their school altogether and enroll them in another school even if it was 100 miles out of the way than allow them to attend class being taught by one of these "managers" let alone attend a school that would actually hire someone of their character build. I leave you with a few words that come to mind when I hear, think, and see HP: Shameful, dishonest, untrustworthy, pitiful, a joke, nightmare, sickening, horrifying experience, and wasted potential...just to name a few and keep it p.c.

"Good example of government waste"

Former Contractor - Analyst in Little Rock, AR
    Former Contractor - Analyst in Little Rock, AR

I worked at Hewlett-Packard as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff, with a couple exceptions. I guess you really can't blame HP for taking advantage of the state of Arkansas's stupidity. There has to be a more cost effective way to implement Medicaid reimbursement..

Cons

Overstaffed, most employees surf the web to keep busy, take care of personal business, etc.. Outdated technology, the system hardware is an old mainframe with limited storage running CICS and COBOL..

Advice to Management

HP management, keep sucking money out the government, that's your job. Arkansas government management, find a more efferent way to administer Medicaid payments.