Hewlett-Packard - Don't bother | Glassdoor

"Don't bother"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some good people work there and they tend not to be in management.

Cons

Someone in management gets hired from an outside company and then hires all their buddies from that former company into HP. This has occurred twice to me in less than one year, in two different organizations within HP. A manager get hired into HP and fills up management roles with their friends from the former company. If you are not part of that group from the former company - you don't matter.

Forcing employees to work from the office with archaic practices . Monitoring desk time and sending building badge access reports to managers. They don't expect management to be able to know if people are contributing or not. Just don't end up on the bad list of the badge access report. Childish and inept.

Lots of waste due to lack of communication and involvement within groups and externally. To many middle managers. "Peter Principle" is alive and well here.

They are filing jobs with Millennials. Cheap and inexperienced. Open jobs for anyone with "experience" very hard to find.

Advice to Management

Take a look at the managers of organizations that have hired i cronies for their former place of employment. There is a good chance their former company is happy to have gotten rid of them.....and HP takes them right in. No questions asked.

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

1. "Behemoth which a rich culture"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is huge and if you are willing to work the system and are patient you can probably get a good situation. You will occasionally have to put up with mind boggling inefficiencies, but that's where the patience comes in. It is the company where a lot of the things that make silicon valley what it is started.

Cons

It's huge! Getting things done is difficult. There are a lot of people involved in every activity no matter how big or small. corporate speak, buzz words, TPS reports with cover sheets.

Advice to Management

I have sympathy for those in upper management at HP. It seems choatic and out of control

2. "The company is getting back to the culture that made it the most desired company to work for."

Pros

The teams that I work with work very well together and in it to win it. I have confidence in upper management.

Cons

The company has taken very good care of me and rewards me for doing a great job.