Hewlett-Packard - Good people but the success is coming from cost cutting rather than innovation (AFAICT) | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

"Good people but the success is coming from cost cutting rather than innovation (AFAICT)"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard part-time

Pros

I enjoyed working at HP Software. The engineers are good and friendly - mostly ego free - no nastiness (although because of forced rank system some nastiness may occur in Nov-Dec then things cool off again after the two week shutdown in Dec.). The salaries are good (for higher ranked engineers at least). Last few years there has been good bonuses (again for top ranked people).

I think HP Software could be a great place to work if their cloud initiatives ever show profit.

The Moffett tower buildings are great (the mathilda/237 intersection is a pain though).

You can and will get promoted if you hang in there. However ask yourself if your skills are really increasing or if the promotion is just an employee retention strategy.

Cons

Lots of attrition and difficult to hire people.

It seemed to me the most successful things HP does is cost cutting. They are trying to grow the software/services business (public/private cloud for example). However, I don't think these have really taken off yet.

Lots of attrition and difficult to hire people.

Your happiness at HP will depend on your ranking - best projects, hikes, bonuses go to top ranked people (naturally) - this is a forced rank system.

Lots of attrition and difficult to hire people.

Meg is currently in year 2 of her 4 year turn around plan (although I could have sworn this was originally supposed to be a two year plan - not sure what happened). She promises not to cost cut to success like former CEO has done, but yet there is cost cutting and that seems to be the most successful thing they do.

Advice to Management

Basically be successful - easier said than done. I think the only missing ingredient is success.

Oh - maybe get rid of the forced ranking.

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

1. "promotions"

Current Employee - Technical Consultant III in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant III in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

great place to learn, and interact with cistome're s

Cons

no promotions and no raises. Managers have waybto much power, often keeping their people back from getting promoted 10c.f. years in and not a senior consultant

Advice to Management

promote the people you have already on staff instead of going elsewhere. we are all goong to.leave in mass if this continues

"Not for long-term career seekers, especially those who care about promotions or growth within the company."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good opportunities for women within the company, specifically for female engineers. Personal growth and education are highly encouraged and supported.

Cons

Telecommuting and flexible schedules are available, but only if your direct manager believes that you can actually do your work if he/she isn't there to supervise it.