Hewlett-Packard - Interesting work, but overall company is on the wrong path. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

"Interesting work, but overall company is on the wrong path."

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Palo Alto, CA
Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some very good managers who care deeply about their teams and the companies.
Interesting, sometimes cutting-edge product and project opportunities.

Cons

Constant layoffs with no end in site. Lots of pressure to move jobs to offshore outsourced firms and eliminate staff in the U.S.
The company continues to struggle for growth which impacts the overall morale and spirit of the workforce.

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

"Thanks for the memories"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent Benefits. Decent 401K. Can work remotely.

Cons

As part of the Software Division in the Protect space, sales slowed very much. We all knew there would be some cuts. Got the call and informed I was one of them. Ten years of experience and they kept others with no experience right out of college. All managers told me that they had no input into the decision. HP's way of letting go more talent I suppose. They sell PC's and ink as that is the only thing keeping them afloat other than cutting talent and replacing them with lower paid newbies. Example. Worked with one of the newbies in their twenties. While on the phone starts saying dude while customer is on the line. The new ones may be eager but have no soft skills. The sales has dropped even further I have been told. HP is nothing but a ink and PC maker these days no matter what their press releases say. They were too late into everything else

Advice to Management

Well there is the management level that does reviews and little else then there are the higher ups that do not know the people and base everything on numbers. Hence why the talent pool at HP has dropped.

"Gone are the glory days"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Big company, brand recognition, large market share in printers, normally great peers, global company

Cons

Declining market, workforce reductions, lots of reorg's, getting very centralized, lots of cost cutting over the past 5 yrs to the point of can't order office supplies.

Advice to Management

Less Sr. Exec, give employees more ownership. Figure out the org and stop changing things....just when employees get in a groove everything changes again.