Hewlett-Packard - I have had a wonderful experience working with numerous global HP partners and colleagues throughout the US. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

"I have had a wonderful experience working with numerous global HP partners and colleagues throughout the US."

Current Contractor - Business Operations Manager in Houston, TX
Current Contractor - Business Operations Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I truly appreciate the flexibility in working from home or in the office setting environment that I have utilized from time to time. This company stance has allowed me to have a great work-life balance. HP consistently challenged me as a project manager where I led global teams allowing me great personal growth high consistent interactions with colleagues and partners from around the world. I love it!

Cons

Office culture can be a bit confusing and I was hired for a one-year contract, thus, a temporary employee which causes undue stress on the personal side as I have had to take the time to job search at HP and other companies. I feel like I am in a bit of limbo on what my future is with the company. Senior management tells me I am doing a great job, yet no one has come forth and hired me on a permanent basis yet.

Advice to Management

I would strongly urge HP when they hire employees on a one-year temporary contract it should be with the thought of a smooth transition from the contract to a full time permanent employee if the employee has worked out well.

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

1. "Respected Company, Terrible Infrastructure and Bureaucracy"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Rio Rancho, NM
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Rio Rancho, NM

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible Work/Life Balance: Even with work-from-home ending, managers understand and respect your health, family and work/life balance. Time Off: Better than most starting vacation time & PTO.

Respected Company in Tech Industry: The founder of Silicon Valley. One of the greats! Brand recognition.

Supportive and Good Lower-Mid Level Management

Cons

Lack of Technological Infrastructure & endless Bureaucracy: antiquated systems, databases, processes and "tools" - all of which are disconnected, non-user friendly, complicated, non-automated, full of "red tape" and connected through manual processes. These complicated processes have resulted in countless payroll errors - that take months to correct, lack of individual accountability, poor customer service and experience, erroneous sales reporting, etc.

Job Security: Instability & Constant Turmoil in Go-to-Market Strategy - Divisions/Roles are merging, then splitting off again, then getting spun or slashed. The company has been restructuring for over a year and cutting jobs. In late Spring 2014, Meg announced even more layoffs.

Career Development Track: No official career development programs or career-pathing.

Advice to Management

With Meg, the company is finally on a solid strategic plan to position the company for growth. HP needs employees to be more productive; and a comprehensive overhaul of the processes, tools and systems needs to priority #1. With that everything else will fall into place, and HP will once again be the great company textbook were written about.

2. "It was great learning experience at HP's R&D labs"

Former Employee - Systems/Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Systems/Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Tried new and disruptive ways to do business by using latest trends in technologies

Cons

Need to think long term and ahead of others.

Advice to Management

They should try to create new business segments. They are continuing with same business segments for last 10 years.