Hewlett-Packard - Large company, good place to work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

"Large company, good place to work"

Pros

Ability to advance one's career, many divisions to be exposed to. Supportive group of co-workers; sense of community and camraderie.

Cons

Depending on your point of view, such a large company either makes it easy to blend in or challenging to stand apart from the crowd.

Advice to Management

Present more opportunities for growth, both internally and from external sources. Perhaps limit the number of lateral moves one can make within the organization.

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

1. "Not a lot of good and a lot of Bad"

Current Employee - Technical Consultant
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant

Pros

Flexible working conditions
    home office
    Most of the worker bees are good people
    I never hear from my boss except at review time

Cons

Pay cuts
    Benefit cuts
    poor products
    no training
    no supports
    useless management

Advice to Management

My first bit of advice is if you want to keep your employees you need to get rid of Hurd before the job market gets better. You need to replace the CEO with someone who have a vision for growth for our company not someone who only cuts costs. You need to treat your employees as assets not as cost centers. You need to build a company where people want to work stands out from the rest instead of trying to be like every other company.

I would also suggest that you stop buying half-baked companies and invest in R&D and create something on your own.

2. "Still great employee base in some areas, but for how much longer?"

Pros

-> Great coworkers
    -> Flex hours
    -> First level management is great and tries to make for an above average work environment

Cons

Cut after cut after cut from corporate is killing morale. HP corporate has taken advantage of the downturn and the employees will not forget this move. I get the imporession many people are working with one foot out the door.

Advice to Management

To Mr Hurd and high level management, do something positive in the area of compensation this year before it's too late. We cannot afford another brain drain (mass exodus of engineers). The value of a lab is largely its employees!