Hewlett-Packard - HP-USA is a Caustic Sweatshop | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

"HP-USA is a Caustic Sweatshop"

Current Employee - Senior Hardware Engineer in Corvallis, OR
Current Employee - Senior Hardware Engineer in Corvallis, OR

Pros

I get paid. I do get to work with some of the old school HP employees who are really smart, great people. I have a descent boss, but she's being bullied from upper management.

Cons

Wow - where do I begin....there are so many reasons why one doesn't want to work for HP.....

1. Compensation: I am making less now than I was 10 years ago. I am not interested in management, hence there are virtually no opportunities for promotion. Mark Hurd and Marcella have guaranteed that they are taking away benefits, pay, etc. from the employees at every opportunity.
2. Management: Managements attitude is "It's a job - if you don't like it - leave!" Management is by intimidation and fear. The only people who are doing well are the ones who kiss up to their manager. The real technical contributors are basically being told to go away. I guess that this is the way of the company now -- no organic growth; buy companies and destroy the employee morale, fire the employees, etc.
3. Senior leadership: I don't think that Mark Hurd is immoral - rather he is amoral. The man only wants to make money for himself. He really doesn't care if HP succeeds in the long term - he wants to get his riches and then leave. Almost everyone I know *hates* Mark Hurd and the executive management. They are taking as much as possible from the employees, firing thousands, and filling their pockets with blood money. It's really sick....
4. Job Security: HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH - there is absolutely no job security! Part of this is because the managers are suits help up with BS and couldn't manage a hot dog stand - no less a technical program. Because there are so many program failures, the engineers are fired. The Corvallis site has gone from 10K employees to slightly over 1K. This is because of management failure - but the losers are still raking in the big bucks....makes you wonder what they are doing to keep their jobs.... hmmm....
5. Promotional Opportunities: HAHAHAHHAHAHHA - there are none. Promotional opportunities are advertised, but they are for the hand picked political appointments. The leadership in the company is nothing but a bunch of incestuous, beurocratic losers. The leadership believes that engineering is by making red/green/yellow boxes in excel.....it's bad
6. Future: I guarantee that HP will fall like a house of cards. The good people are leaving, and I guarantee that they will leave in mass once the jobs come back to America. Mark Hurd and his band of thieves (exec management) are doing more to kill America than any terrorist organization and their actions are almost treason.
7. Employment: I tell everyone I know - "DON'T Come to HP to work unless you're starving - it is a total caustic sweatshop." HP is a terrible place to work and I'm doing everything I can do to get out of the place...

Advice to Management

There is nothing I can say to them. We have totally different values - I think that the exec management is from another planet. They will be extremely rich when the company fails and then the stock holders and the remaining employees will be left holding the bag when Mark Hurd and his band of thieves make off with their blood money.

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

"I'd never go back"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Boise, ID

Pros

Good compensation
    Flex time allows you to work from home.

Cons

No work-life balance
    Poor communication between groups
    Disorganized work environment
    No personal contact: Expect to spend 11 hour work days isolated in a cubicle ghost town.

Advice to Management

Provide actual training to new hires and don't rely so much on working remotely.

"The HP Way has eroded so far you can now call it the "Sacrificed Employee Way""

Current Employee - Engineer in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Engineer in Fort Collins, CO

Pros

1. Having a job with an adequate salary when you prefer to stay in the location you are currently employed by HP.

2. Having an adequate medical insurance plan. As the company now states, the goal is to provide benefits that are "competitive with similar employers".

3. Having something of a 401K company match (for the moment).

Cons

When I hired on with HP over 20 years ago, the intention of executive management was to obtain superior employees and treat them in a superior manner, as compared to its competitors, in order to attract them and keep them in the company. With a superior workforce and a superior workplace, the idea was that the business would perform in a superior fashion in the market and employees would be proud to work for HP. Employees were considered the biggest asset the company held in its portfolio. This was called the "HP Way". Sadly this philosophy is now gone, as the value of the employee has been clearly diminished to a point that the company is simply a follower of its competitors instead of a leader amongst them. If these companies just follow each other long enough, it’s only a matter of time and they will drive the whole pack of lemmings over the edge of a cliff. By that time the Asian companies will have overtaken them all (well actually each of them will probably become an Asian company instead of remaining an American company).

Over a period of many years, benefits and motivating factors have been removed from HP employees at an appalling rate and morale is at an all time low. This trend is really an erosion phenomenon - to see the overall impact, you have to look at the losses over many years, rather than just the losses from the immediate year. In general, this is what most corporate companies are all doing now, so employees aren't as shocked when it happens in little bits. They want the frogs to get slowly cooked without noticing their impeding doom.

Advice to Management

Think of the long term effect on the company as you hack the arms and legs off your company. Short term financials may look good, but long term you will have a badly deformed and poorly operational body of workers.