Hewlett-Packard - Endurance race! | Glassdoor

"Endurance race!"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Guadalajara, Jalisco (Mexico)
Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Guadalajara, Jalisco (Mexico)

Pros

Great work-life balance if you're not the front of a business. HP is a brand that will really impress in my CV. When you're lucky enough to find a manager with the HP WAY, it really shows you how 2 guys in a garage were able to build an emporium.

Cons

- Outsourcing jobs is a way of life
- Let me describe Hurd's management style: You pressure as much as you can, till the employee/division gets tired and finally retaliates; it is at this time that he knows they're at their optimal level and goes to find its next pray. ALELUYA for Business Optimization!
- Declining R&D. Have you seen when they talk about R&D they actually discuss a fixed amount instead of a certain % of total revenue like top innovators actually do?.
- Focus on 2 things: Hiring Sellers and Execs. What does this mean? It's an army with 10 high ranking officers but only 2-3 tired soldiers who actually do the fight.
- HR is a joke! No salary increases (at least in high-cost countries), forced curves in performance reviews leaving only a few people with the highest rank (what if there's a magic team that has 10 geniouses among their ranks? It doesn't matter, the "less" smart guy gets the lowest level.... It's that way!!)
- I have never seen so many OverHead in a company like in HP

Advice to Management

Remember what makes great companies, innovation!!! Look at Apple, they may not excel in every department but at least they're trying and winning; I can't wait to see the day when they decide to start selling Servers... HP/IBM/DELL shares will immediately drop by 20%, why? Because they're able to turn into Gold everything they touch due to the way they run their business.

I can bet that Apple at some time took ideas from HP Way magament style, and look at them!! Imagine what HP would be if they return to their former self with the muscle they've gained over these years.

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

1. "HP Global soft Bangalore review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Pros

WOrk-life balance is better compared to other companies. thats the only Pro

Cons

No salary hikes for the last 4 years
    Questionable promotions (favouritism)
    Uncertanity about goals, perfromance, career growth, money etc. rules!
    No respect for individuals. those who are close to managers, get all benefits, others either learn to be lick-ass, or go to hell.

Advice to Management

There are lot of clear cut processes in HP. implement them for the common good of all. not to discourage people and torment them.

"I thought slavery was illegal?"

Current Employee - Technical Consultant
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant

Pros

Just the same as everyone posts here- I work from home, but too bad I never see my family though I live in the same house. Free ink. The benefits are decent, but I have had better.

Cons

-Company so wants to grow the bottom line, they lay off 75% of your team, and expect the other 25% to pick up the pieces. Business picked up over 1/3rd in my division, yet here I am slaving away with the other few pitiful people in my group. Yes, I stopped feeling "lucky" to have a job!
    -HP believes they can classify you as exempt and then work you 24/7. Complain when you want an hour or so to yourself.
    -Zero work/life balance. What kind of work/life balance means working 14 to 16 hours every day?
    -Great volunteer opportunities and Web MD programs that I'd like to take advantage of, but never have the time to do it.
    -Your team, if members get replaced, come from India. These guys wouldn't know a data base or a switch if it slapped them in the face.
    -PMs from distant lands can't understand the broken English of other people on the project team who are from different distant lands. Project meeting that could be done in 15 minutes takes an hour, but at least we are saving money!
    -Management responsibility on your shoulders. What your manager is doing? Not helping you out any.
    -Reactive management style, and incapable middle management.
    -Disconnect between what executives think you can do and workers know they can do is a chasm larger than the Grand Canyon .
    -Management that cusses you out and threatens you.
    -No compensation or reward packages.

Advice to Management

Hey Herd. I have offers coming in from other companies to work for them at twice your going rate. When I l decide which one to go to, my account will not have the knowledge or staff capable of performing the required services. The role I play is a big one, and the knowledge and experience you will lose will be huge.