Hewlett-Packard - HP Throws a Lot at Their Employees Without Much Support | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

"HP Throws a Lot at Their Employees Without Much Support"

Pros

I really love how I am able to work from home and make my own hours.
* HP is open to new ideas. This depends on the group you are in. Some groups are more flexible than others.
* HP has great co-workers.

Cons

* I and others on the team have had to work a lot of nights and weekends, even on days I originally planned to take off. There is a lot of "get it done now" and tight deadlines.
* You always get this feeling that your job can be outsourced to India.
* It seems that only those in certain groups are publically recognized.
* They tell you there are opportunities, but they overload you with so much work, you are unable to go after them.
* HP is becoming pennywise-pound foolish. We have to go through a lot of red tape to purchase the software we need to do our jobs. In some cases, we are not allowed to purchaes the software.
* HP is putting pressure on us to go with "cheap" contracting agencies, rather than on contracting agencies that may be a little more expensive but provide quality work.

Advice to Management

Stop the self-congratulating webcasts and meet personally with those who work for you. How are they feeling? You need to walk around the “virtual” factory floor.
People are tired of being told by Mark H. that all of their jobs can be easily outsourced to India and China. We get the picture. Now give us some encouragement.
If you want the company to do well, nurture us as you would a plant. Give us encouragement and opportunities.
By the way, you are not providing opportunities when you throw a bunch of web links at us.

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

"Working for HP"

Pros

Decent benefits offered. Fairly high caliber of fellow employees. Opportunities for exposure to new technologies and responsibilities.

Cons

lack of work-life balance. Expectations to work over 50 hours week and to work most weekends. Lack of promotional opportunities. Lack of recognitions for outstanding effort and quality delivered.

Advice to Management

workers perform better when encouraged and allowed to have a life outside of the company. Fear of losing a job will only make people work hard enough to keep that job, not a winning philosophy

"used to be great - lack of accountability in the upper ranks has created an atmosphere of distrust"

Pros

Collaboration at it's finest. HP employees are team players. HP provides opportunities to gain experience.

Cons

Born on innovation and management by walking around - but no longer applies. Lack of innovation and a fortress surrounds the CEO. Key technologies are bought or outsourced. Employee surveys are ignored and results covered up. Mediocracy at its finest.

Advice to Management

Your company was founded on people, engineering expertise, and values. Go back to your roots. Your rewards to top management for non performance are transparent. Your lack of action on employee surveys speaks loudly