Hewlett-Packard - Nice and relaxed place | Glassdoor

"Nice and relaxed place"

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer V in San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Electrical Engineer V in San Diego, CA

Pros

Friendly, calm, generous, diverse, fexible hours

Cons

poor management, no team work

Advice to Management

Develop a startegy and do it consistently instead of jumping from one failing project to another

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

"Career Treadmill - Running Fast & But Not Getting Anywhere"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

1. Flexibility to work from home when needed
    2. Exposure to leading technologies and market trends
    3. HP looks good on a resume, good place to start your career

Cons

1. The only people who get paid what they are worth, are folks who come in from the outside - Dell, Cisco, IBM. The company has a hard "no raise" policy. So what happens is good people leave for a competitor, and they are back-filled by someone from the outside at a salary far more than what the original person was asking for. Example: I was asking for a 10% increase as I had two promotions with no salary compensation, and I was told no, so I moved internally, and they replaced me with someone making 30% more than I was...and this happens all the time. In my new group, a peer just left and they hired someone from the compeition making $20K more!

2. Mid-Management often times does not have a vision of where products need to go, and we end up chasing our competitors....like the two tablets HP has launched...one that was canceled and the other that is way to expensive and feature-less to compete with the iPad.

3. Under Mark Hurd all the R&D and push for innovation was cut, and jobs in the US were sent to Asia to save money and now many of our products are basically off-the-shelf from what our vendors have on their roadmaps. Yet execs now wonder why everyone buys Apple? And dont think the money saved from the loss of US jobs went anywhere but back to the Exec bonus plans or Mark Hurd's hush money to walk away.

4. In order to get deals in other countries such as China, Puerto Rico on taxes, real estate, etc, US jobs are always used as bartering tools. HP lays off Americans to higher in China, India or places like Puerto Rico in order to appease local governments and gain financial benefit on strategic deals.

Advice to Management

1. Treat employees like humans and not a commodity, other fims like Google, Microsoft have larger overhead due to employee perks, but it also helps them keep and attract talent. Microsoft built a whole mall and shuttle system because they were losing to many employees to Google. Get smart, because your best employees are going to Dell and Cisco to get paid what they are worth....and you are spending more to replace them with folks from those exact companies.

2. Look more than a year out for market trends and innovation.

3. Put people in positions where their strengths are....too many times HP has people in a product development role, who has zero experience in development....or someone in a customer facing role who has zero experience and personality for such a position and both areas are examples where HP is lacking.

"People oriented company but very bureaucratic."

Current Employee - Project Manager in Chesterbrook, PA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Chesterbrook, PA

Pros

Good company to work for if job security is your priority. Sure there were lay-offs when CEO Mark Hurd was at the helm. However, the new CEO, Leo Apotheker, is more people oriented and seeks to reverse this trend. He has restored many of the benefits employees previously lost. My moral is gradually improving.

Many employees have the option to work remotely from home offices which is convenient and time saving. Lots of opportunities for training classes and certifications for those interested in furthering their technical skills.

Cons

Difficult to cut through red tape and bureaucratic inertia to get things done. Re-organizations occur frequently which is disruptive. Team members are geographically dispersed across the US and other countries which may create feelings of loneliness and isolation. Many employees spend a substantial amount of time attending conference calls working with people they have known for years but may have never met in person.

Opportunities for advancement are limited. Raises are 2-3% annually even when the economy is doing well. HP prefers to give end-of-year bonuses which are supposed to be performance based. Due to the recession, many employees have not received raises in two or more years. Upper management tries to encourage employees to seek advancement (for example, Six Sigma and PMP certifications) but little or no reward is given for attaining these.

Advice to Management

Employees are still bruised from the cutbacks and lay-offs that occurred during 2009 and 2010. I have watched many of our most talented people leave of their own accord. Continue to make improvements in worker compensation and benefits to reduce the brain drain that will inevitably occur when the US economy recovers from this recession. Reduce the number of re-organizations. Most of us have well defined skill sets and end up doing the same job in different roles anyway. The constant shuffling is counter-productive and prevents employees from creating lasting bonds with other coworkers.