Highgate Hotels - Highgate Intership Program afforded tremendous opportunity!! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Highgate Hotels

"Highgate Intership Program afforded tremendous opportunity!!"

Current Intern - Human Resources Intern in New York, NY
Current Intern - Human Resources Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Highgate Hotels as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The Internship program has made leaps and bounds from its humble beginnings. In the HR department, I was given my own workspace and learned a multitude of functions and computer software associated with HR as well as standard operating procedures. Additionally, I was given multiple projects that provided autonomy and sat in on meetings with directors of the departments as well as with the unions. The Speaker Series provided to NYC interns was invaluable as every week we were given the opportunity to hear from different high level executives as well as network. I attended the onboarding ceremony for a newly acquired hotel, as well as met owners, principals, and the COO of the company as well as multiple Senior VPs. This was an extremely beneficial program and led to an offer being extended from the company. As with most internships, you get from it what you put into it, but if you work hard, this internship will pay dividends ten fold.

Cons

There were maybe two to three days during the 8-week internship where I didn't have many tasks to complete and found myself doing more of the mundane part of the job, such as filing or answering phones. That being said, this is still part of the job and I never felt like I wasn't learning something. These instances were very few and far between though as almost every day a new task or project was assigned which allowed me to further my knowledge of the human resources, the company and the hospitality industry in general.

Advice to Management

Just continue to make your interns feel as at home and comfortable as you did with me. I felt that the environment was very conducive to allowing me to speak my mind and opinion and to genuinely contribute the company in various ways throughout the internship. Whether that was new ideas to increase efficiency and productivity or just new events or programs to increase employee morale.

Other Employee Reviews for Highgate Hotels

1. "Internship program is evolving"

Former Intern - Accounting Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Accounting Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Highgate Hotels as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

exposure to many different career paths in the company, networking opportunities, I think that with more time the internship program can evolve to be much better

Cons

not enough independence for interns, at least in the accounting department--I didn't have my own computer and mainly just observed what the employees did

2. "Great Company to Work For"

I worked at Highgate Hotels full-time

Pros

Great pay and benefits, great promotion opportunities.

Cons

There are long hours and the management really tries to stretch personnel resources to the limit by operating with bare minimum personnel.