Highland Solutions - Opportunistic Owner | Glassdoor

"Opportunistic Owner"

I worked at Highland Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice, caring staff. Holidays and evenings (usually) off. Pleasant office space with nice lake views.

Cons

Ownership promotes a "wonderful culture" which turns out to be an excuse to over-control, underpay, overwork and not promote. And Note that if your role gets too valuable to the company, you may suddenly find yourself not "fitting in" the culture. But don't worry all the opportunities you brought to the company will remain with the company. Also saw this same opportunistic pattern with company's strategic partners including taking their clients away.

Advice to Management

Get some coaching on how to communicate, relate, enroll and encourage employees, or stop confusing people by pretending you care. With no change you will have trouble keeping your good staff now the economy has improved.

Other Employee Reviews for Highland Solutions

"View of a successful agile organization"

I have been working at Highland Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Highland Solutions has been a great place to land and really drive my career forward. They develop custom software solutions for many business verticals, and have a tremendous agile-driven teamwork culture. Some of their strengths as an employer include:
    - remote work: they get it, trust you as an adult, and help you be productive and collaborative with your team. Teams are accountable to their clients, and team members to their teammates. No hostility, no clock watching, just a great experience doing interesting work.
    - great people: they have a knack for finding high quality individuals who keep their egos in check and want to do good work and enjoy the ride.
    - we get to fail: our work is frequently on the fine line between complexity and chaos, where innovation produces outcomes that are not readily apparent or caused by a known process. Even their clients tend to understand this, and encourage us to take risks even though there are bumps sometimes. Always being successful doesn't provide the proper environment to learn and grow, and our teams celebrate the battle scars along the way to success.
    - agile processes that excel: Having fixed schedules and total control of their process allows teams to thrive. Our managers (product owners they are called) give us total autonomy to drive a technical solution forward, and they work hard to help clients prioritize and adjust the backlogs of user stories (our feature definitions from a user outcome perspective.) Our team demos and delivers solutions incrementally every two weeks; it is the most productive I have ever been.
    - organic growth and satisfied clients: Highland Solutions has been growing their business in a logical and effective way for the past few years. Management works to support our delivery teams, not to direct them. This really makes a difference in their work, allowing the company to focus on positive client experience rather than extreme growth and organizational chaos.

Cons

The only concern I can think of is their current size (a small consulting business) provides some risk that this ride will end if the overall market for their custom software services takes a dive.

Advice to Management

my view of Highland Solutions: a humble organization with the right mix of zest, mastery and purpose to make work a pleasure and success easily achievable. All I can say is keep up the good work.

2. "Good company to work for"

Former Employee - Applications Developer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Applications Developer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Highland Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good company culture, competitive benefits

Cons

No clear path for promotion, team members moved between teams