Hillsborough Community College - Stable Place to Stay | Glassdoor

"Stable Place to Stay"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Hillsborough Community College full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great time off for Holidays, Spring Break and generous vacation and sick leave. Free community college tuition for relevant degree. Opportunity for higher education tuition reimbursement. Stable environment and if long term you become vested in the Florida Retirement System.

Cons

No opportunities for advancement; job postings of two weeks or less have pre-decided hires. No merits raises regardless of performance; therefore, no reason to work harder. Cost of living raises non-existent past several years. Current employees eligble for position upgrades receive 6% over minimum salary, yet if position open to public external candidate hired gets 10% or more above. Takes current longterm employees years to earn what a new hire would make for the same job. We hire alot of administrators and are deficient in front-line student services staff - most of whom are paid substantially les than other schools in area.

Advice to Management

Hire student services staff because our students should receive the best college experience. Stop focusing on recruiting students and focus on better serving the ones we already have. Inconsistency between campuses, courses, required books, etc. has to be addressed and changed. All Walmarts, Publix's, NY SUNY campuses etc. look and provide same great quality experience - our students should be able to attend any campus and feel at home because it's familiar and easy to navigate. Stop meeting about Student Success and actively, agressively implement best practices from top schools. Include students in college decisions; listen to staff because they know student needs best. best.

Other Employee Reviews for Hillsborough Community College

1. "Job security"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Pros

You get plenty of time off (holidays + vacation). Good benefits. Job security. Depending on your position, it can feel like a rewarding career (i.e. helping new students). Most departments help each other out.

Cons

Minimal career advancement. Merit raises are non-exist. You are lucky to get a cost of living raise. Some mundane tasks.

Advice to Management

Listen to the department you are heading. Ask your staff what would they think will help to acheive your department and the college's overall goals and outlook. Then really follow the advice that was given.

2. "Dance Dept"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ybor City, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ybor City, FL

I worked at Hillsborough Community College part-time

Pros

Loved working for Christina Acosta

Cons

Wish I could have continued my association