Hillshire Brands - Biggest Misstep in My Career | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hillshire Brands

"Biggest Misstep in My Career"

I have been working at Hillshire Brands full-time

Pros

Corporate office is now in downtown Chicago.

Cons

This is a place where work ethic comes to die. There is no drive, ambition, motivation or pride at this place. There is no clear communication. In fact the way to be a successful middle manager here is to not make a single decision, tell your team you are there to support them and then not do a single thing. You won't be held accountable to anything. If you fake excitement and happiness to everything management says you will automatically be viewed as someone with a chance at "greater opportunities." For most people you will not be challenged, you will just operate on auto pilot and hope that your life outside this awful place is fulfilling enough to make this job not matter.

Advice to Management

Motivate your team. Give any of us a reason to stay.

Other Employee Reviews for Hillshire Brands

"Turn your employees' lives upside-down"

Former Employee - Supply Chain in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Supply Chain in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Hillshire Brands full-time

Pros

Like most other people, "the brand name recognition"... Working in Cincinnati, we started up the Sara Lee Foods Supply Chain organization in the early 2000s, shortly after Sara Lee had purchased several other smaller food companies. We had it rocking with great service level and low distressed levels. It USED to be a great place to work with great possibilities for growth and idea creation..

Cons

In the mid 2000s, Chicago decided they wanted to move ALL of their brands' corporate offices to Downer's Grove. They offered the majority of the Cincy employees a package to move which seemed to average around a 10% salary increase.. With the cost of living being anywhere from 25% to 40% higher (depending on what suburb you moved to), they were offering people a pay cut to move to Chicago.. So many people left and took their tribal knowledge with them. DUMB MOVE...

"The people on the production floor are great, but the same cannot be said for upper management."

Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Saint Joseph, MO
    Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Saint Joseph, MO

I worked at Hillshire Brands full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly workplace, laid back pace, and great attitudes.

Cons

I wasn't told the truth about lay offs for maintenance, when I was hired.

Advice to Management

When you get good employees, you should keep them. Or don't hire them with the thought of permanent work.