Hilton - Mediocre Job, little room to move up. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hilton

"Mediocre Job, little room to move up."

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Milpitas, CA
Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Milpitas, CA

Pros

Co-workes that i work with make it all worth while. The guest are always a pleasure, the ease of downtime basically getting paid for doing nothing. Easiest of other jobs i've had

Cons

Managment some times is not that great. Guest that take it out on you when its not your fault.

Advice to Management

please stoping having an attitude when things are not going your way. And don't take it out on your staff.

Other Employee Reviews for Hilton

"Do not consider working for a corporate Hilton Hotel."

Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Naperville, IL

Pros

When times are good, times are good, and the hours come steadily. Working with customers can be great, and giving good service is worthwhile. When a customer is happy, they'll let you know. Worldwide corporation, so it looks good on a resume at least, and there are a ton of skills to be learned from the position that appear good, even when you really do very little in the position. If you're into repetition constantly, saying the same routine with no change, involving little to no thought, where mediocrity (and until just recently outright incompetence) is viewed by the management as acceptable, well then, this is your gig. It sounds great on a resume, if you can hide the fact that you were a zombie.

Cons

Almost everything else, and some of the above, is a downside. Being forced to cheapskate the living hell out of customers and not being able to be flexible. Nothing ever free. Ever. Getting screamed at by customers for basically all policies of the hotel and NEVER having a manager back you up. Ever. Being harassed by management when a customer gets angry for something out of your control - and still being told that it was your fault. But when a manager gets an angry customer though, they act nonchalant and almost encourage the guest to complain - their rear isn't on the line, why should they give a crap? But if an associate gets the exact same thing, holy crap, job in jeopardy. Working with a managerial staff that is so obsessed with profit maximization and bowing to corporate that they care not about true service - instead thinking the definition of customer service is smiling at customers, using their name. At the same time, they rape their clients' checking accounts with dishonest charges and fees - and thinking these little, worthless gestures forgive this horrible business practice. Also a horrid culture of communication, and blame is the name of the game. daily accusations of poor performance. Constant threat of termination, and having hours cut at random with no regard to personal needs. Being forced to partake in shady, shady, shaaady business practices. Most of all, running on a business model, office protocols, software, and almost everything ridiculously outdated from the mid-1990s. Yes, it's that bad.

Advice to Management

To hotel middle management: quit. You're killing the company, and your employees hate you.

"So far I'm impressed..."

Current Employee - Sales Administrative in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Administrative in San Jose, CA

Pros

Some of the reasons I love to work for HIlton Hotels is the DISCOUNT! Let's be honest, it makes traveling much easier. Plus I think our management really has shown they are in their leadership roles for a reason. I feel I can talk to my direct mananger of even the GM at any time without any "you went over my head" issues. I do feel the company rewards fairly based on individual accomplishments and does invest in your professional and personal development. SO far, so good.

Cons

Forced PTO. When I came on board the Sales Office was closed 3x in the next 3 months. I had no time off so I didn't get paid for those vacation times. I hear a lot of "when I was at my old property".. well you're no longer there so shut up about it. Making staff changes and not explaining how it's benefiting the property.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to your staff. Many things happen that you are not even aware of. From where you sit to where we work, the view is very different. Appreciate the people that are missing their kids recitals to make sure our guests are taken care of.