Hilton - Assistant Director of Finance | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hilton

"Assistant Director of Finance"

Former Employee - Assistant Controller in Boston, MA
Former Employee - Assistant Controller in Boston, MA

I worked at Hilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunities for promotion. Great opportunities for additional training. Culture has gotten much more progressive since Blackstone took over.

Cons

Have to relocate for promotions if you want to move up in the organization, but that is really the same in all of the hospitality industry.

Other Employee Reviews for Hilton

"eCommerce Manager, Edge Fund"

Former Employee - ECommerce Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - ECommerce Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Hilton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hotel discounts, well known brand, good city, good location, good benefits, friendly peers, covered parking, snack area, vending machine, water fountain

Cons

Extremely high turnover, poor training, unusual workloads (portfolios of 30+ hotels), mismatch hiring (e.g. they hire strategists and place them in analytical roles), unclear departmental divisions, busy work for the sake of busy work (endless checklists, audits, etc), inexperienced people managers

Advice to Management

Are you a ninja master at placing checks in checkboxes? Are you passionate about copying and pasting text, uploading images, and correcting spelling? Do you love pulling reports and creating graphs, leaving the meaningful work to other people? If you answered yes to all three, than this is the job for you!

Hilton's eCommerce department didn't hire people like the above when I was there. Instead, they hired seasoned professionals from Fortune 500 companies and digital ad agencies, with backgrounds in strategic digital marketing, and placed them in predominately administrative and highly mundane eComm Manager roles. Not a good fit.

We were assigned portfolios consisting of dozens of hotels (mostly motels), and we were expected to conduct endless audits, pull endless reports, and fill out endless checklists that constituted our day-to-day responsibilities - all day, every day. Additionally, we were responsible for website maintenance (swapping out promos, correcting spelling, etc). It appears things haven't changed. The average tenure of eCommerce Managers is currently around 1 year before leaving the company. High turnover = unhappy employees.

They should consider only hiring individuals with hospitality backgrounds and specifically individuals from Revenue Management. The roles are very similar - analyzing data and conducting root cause analysis for assigned hotels (but from an online perspective and with the added layer of audits, checklists and website maintenance...and more audits and checklists).

Actual online strategy/execution is managed by other teams (Demand Generation, Search, Social, etc.).

"Would not recommend to my friends"

Current Employee - Analytics Manager in Mc Lean, VA
    Current Employee - Analytics Manager in Mc Lean, VA

I have been working at Hilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A known brand name
    Hilton experience might look good on your resume
    Global Company
    And nothing else comes to mind

Cons

Counter productive environment
    Agencies and vendors have more power than Hilton employees
    A bunch of outdated folks are running the show

Advice to Management

Treat people who do the actual work with respect