Hitachi Data Systems - Great place to work. | Glassdoor

"Great place to work."

Former Employee - Lead Project Analyst in Denver, CO
Former Employee - Lead Project Analyst in Denver, CO

I worked at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They allowed their employees autonomy while giving them the tools to do their job.

Cons

None I can think of. Would consider working for them again.

Advice to Management

None. Continue trusting in your workers.

Other Employee Reviews for Hitachi Data Systems

"Low and middle management are awful - dreadful review process"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very flexible work environment. OK to work from home or set your schedule as long as work gets done.

Cons

Employee managers are god awful. No people management skills. Only concern is sucking up to their bosses. Annual review process has little to do with your work and results are pre-determined by senior managers, so actual manager has little input except to deliver the bad news to the employee. Why a best place to work? Pay is okay. Work flexibility is great, and you see top management one or two days per month. Also, lousy travel and expense reimbursement policies - four levels of approvals to make a $200 down and back trip to another office.

Advice to Management

Clean house of the low management. Promote them out of the company. Scrap the review process and replace it with something meaningful and accurate because the current system is neither!

"Not bad, not great"

Current Employee - Senior SQA Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior SQA Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My immediate manager and their peers are very professional, and even-keeled. Third level management (for my division, based in the UK) are nice enough. My team members are all pleasant, competent, and helpful. There doesn't seem to be any of the back-biting I've seen at some places.

Cons

Although the UK based management are nice, they seem to be a tad out of touch with the "cube dwellers" here in the US. It could be attributed to a difference in cultures -- after all, Silicon Valley Engineers can be a touch..... "out there".
    There have been some recent grumblings of discontent and several engineers have left due to dissatisfaction with recent executive project decisions. To be fair however, I feel management is putting forth a concerted effort to reverse the attrition.

Advice to Management

Continue your efforts to retain good people as the Valley's job market for engineers seems to be heating up. I'm not one to advocate that employees be coddled, but when folks feel their efforts are wasted they'll look for a place where they are appreciated. That lead to a lot of lost productivity and re-invention of the wheel.