Hitachi Data Systems - Friendly people. Under the control of Japanese parent. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hitachi Data Systems

"Friendly people. Under the control of Japanese parent."

Former Contractor - Marketing Program Manager in Santa Clara, CA
Former Contractor - Marketing Program Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Hitachi Data Systems as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Many smart people and lots of workplace flexibility, at least in the group I was in. They also pay well.

Cons

Storage is a tough business and HDS has tough competition with little differentiation. HDS doesn't make the storage products themselves, so they are very dependent on Hitachi in Japan. In effect, they are like a sales and marketing channel for the parent company. In theory, they are independent, but in practice Hitachi calls the shots. This makes it hard to plan and/or act on plans.

Other Employee Reviews for Hitachi Data Systems

"Great company that truly reflects it's core value"

Current Employee - Individual Contributor in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Individual Contributor in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Having worked with HDS colleagues from over 40 countries, I find employees generally have a very high degree of honesty, integrity and a desire to help fellow colleagues. Good work/life balance and good benefits. Good transparency by executives. I have recommended HDS to close friends. This is a great company. I thought I would be here just a few years, but I really enjoy working for HDS.

Cons

Pay is ok, but could always be better.

Advice to Management

Maintain focus on core values, family/life balance as we continue grow.

"Not worth it"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Remote work options, onsite gym, cafe, some really nice people that are easy to work with

Cons

-Company has not hit bonus targets in 2 years and they don't offer stock. What your left with is just your base salary and for a tech company in Silicon Valley it's really not competitive.
    -Aging workforce and they are just now starting to get some young blood in with the new internship program, but generally they hire experienced professionals with industry experience. If you are young, it's hard to fit in and move up in rank.
    -Lots of people work here long term because the performance bar is set so low for a lot of people and they aren't good enough to find a job at other more successful companies.
    -Company products lack innovation and are just copycat products of successful ideas other companies thought of first.
    -Lots of politics and in-fighting within all groups. HR is one of the worst divisions you could possibly work in.