Hobby Lobby - It's a job. | Glassdoor

"It's a job."

Current Employee - Cashier in Lubbock, TX
Current Employee - Cashier in Lubbock, TX

I have been working at Hobby Lobby part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Decent pay for part time
-Made some new friends
-15% Discount
-Sundays off

Cons

-Part timers getting just as much hours as a full timer. I get about 35-38 hours a week after lunch is taken out.
-Sale signs confuse a lot of customers. Especially the fine print, causing them to get upset at you because they didn't read everything on the sign.
-Lack of scanners. Apparently we can afford iPads in each department to make ordering easier, but we can't afford scanners?
-Truck day. They shouldn't have to ask other employees to help with the truck. Especially if you closed the night before, then waking up at 5 isn't very fun.
-Lack of free time to yourself. Every once in awhile on the days I get out at 4 I'll have time to go see a movie or something, but after every day I normally just have time to come home, make dinner, clean, and sleep. Then on my day off I run around and do errands. There doesn't seem to be time to relax.
-A bit understaffed. I've been called over to fabrics for the past couple weeks to help out so that the dept head can order. I actually do like fabrics more than cashiering, but my manager doesn't seem to want to let me over there permanently.

Advice to Management

Get your priorities straight. I understand that you want sales to go more smoothly, but I bet that scanners would be just as effective as iPads.
Make the sales signs more clear for customers. With most of our shops customers who are elderly, they don't seem to be able to read the fine print.
Make a better system for coupons. People keep trying to hop to different registers unnoticed. Unfortunately some of them get away with it because I don't have eyes on the back of my head while I check someone else out. Perhaps making different IP adresses for people's mobile devices so codes are different?

Other Employee Reviews for Hobby Lobby

"No life if you work here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, discounts, its a job!

Cons

Long hours, Horrible management, No life because of scheduling.

Advice to Management

Treat employees as if they are human. 13 hour shifts are not good.

2. "Great Place"

Former Employee - Cashier in Dodge City, KS
    Former Employee - Cashier in Dodge City, KS

I worked at Hobby Lobby part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fellow employees and management are great! Always have something to do to keep you busy, even when there are few customers.

Cons

Had to key in each item by hand at the registers. Would be great if they had a scanning system set up to make checkout times faster and reduce errors.

Advice to Management

See if HQ will allow for register update.