Hobby Lobby - long and egrading | Glassdoor

"long and egrading"

Current Employee - Department Manager
Current Employee - Department Manager

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

they pay well... I have been there a long time and our team has become like a family

Cons

Poor management! It has become more and more apparent they do not truly care on the human level. We had a fantastic store manager when the store opened, he was there for many years but as the corporate level of management became less humane he chose retirement. We have had several managers since, each worse than the last. We are no longer allowed opinions on any level and if you speak up you are punished by scheduling, we earn personal paid time that we have been told we can't use without a doctors note, sometimes not even then. It has become a dictatorship. When we made attempts to go to corporate about the issues we were ignored or embarrassed by being called out in front of others. They have the fact they are christian posted every where and that we are closed to allow time for worship and family on sundays yet we have received trucks on sunday and had to work and now are required to study the sale ad to pass a test monday morning before open. They also brag about their high wages( on the national news and posted on the front door) but they don't tell you that it is a set rate for all employees, the guy who goofs off all day gets paid the same as the guy busting their butt to get things done, not great incentive. I cannot afford to quit due to the High rate of pay but I am more miserable everyday.

Advice to Management

All levels of management should be required human relations classes and pass personality tests before receiving their gold name tag. Remeber that without people you cannot run a business, that includes your employees

Other Employee Reviews for Hobby Lobby

1. "Customer Service"

Current Employee - Senior Warehouse Personnel in Beaumont, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Warehouse Personnel in Beaumont, TX

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

15% off all items we buy. Great starting pay when you make full time. Good managers to work for. We all become one big family, we care about each other.

Cons

The downside is when the months are slow and sales are not high we feel it in the hours that are giving to us to work. They are low but not for too long of time.

"Good Company"

Former Employee - Cashier in Lafayette, IN
    Former Employee - Cashier in Lafayette, IN

I worked at Hobby Lobby part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hobby Lobby is a very good company that starts off both part time workers and full time workers excellent wages high above minimum wage. They have Sundays off and good store hours, 9am to 8pm. The merchandise they carry is also fun and you can learn a lot of different hobbies and crafts there. The team of workers is small, and you can become good friends with a lot of people. The backroom in the store I worked at was very organized and clean. A lot of their cleaning methods and organization methods are good.

Cons

A lot of work by hand. This includes inventory, ordering items and of course entering the items on the cash registers. This is very painstaking work and very easy to mess up. The small team is also a problem. There are sometimes not enough people working during the day and at night. This makes for a lot more work for those who are on the clock. Scheduling was also a problem, as they required me there every second I was available.