Hobby Lobby - Great place to be a cashier | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hobby Lobby

"Great place to be a cashier"

Former Employee - Cashier
Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Hobby Lobby part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you show initiative and try to do well at your job, there are decent opportunities for advancement. I started as a part time employee and, though I ended up leaving for a better offer before I made full time, I stood a very good chance of getting it within 6 months of my start date. The general atmosphere is very pleasant, friendly, and team oriented, my coworkers were awesome, and the new shipments of merchandise were fun to go through. The pay was good for a cashier position and having Sundays off and no super-late shifts was really nice. I was more content there than anywhere else I'd worked at and, had I not gotten that offer, I would have happily stayed for a while longer.

Cons

It's retail, so expect odd hours, the occasional irritating customer, and your weekly hours to fluctuate depending on the season. I was told when I was hired that I would have every other Saturday off, but that didn't happen.

Other Employee Reviews for Hobby Lobby

"Christian Craft Store"

I worked at Hobby Lobby part-time

Pros

Closed on Sunday, so employees are assured that day off. 15% Employee discount. The work environment felt "honest". Co-workers were extremely skilled in the Frame, Art and Textile departments. Creative joy helping customers address projects.

Cons

Hobby Lobby did not offer benefits except the 15% discount to PT employees. I can not comment on full time benefits. The overall workforce including the store manager had a repressed film like a cloudy day.

They throw away a mind-blowing amount of matt board! Management did not care about the waste!

It is interesting that in my observation; they all looked exactly alike- Hobby Lobby regional and/or corporate visitors--- White male, middle aged, not of athletic build, greying short hair, pressed long sleeve shirt, tie and never friendly looking.

Department Manager in Fine Art earned $10.00 hr. New hire Professional Picture Framer earned $7.50-$8.00 hr.

The bathroom always had a plumbing issue.

Advice to Management

Please donate matt board to schools and organizations who will use them, or package it and sell as bulk (as you do the custom frames). The waste could be used by school art departments right in town, your future customers.

Consider raising wages to ABOVE a living wage. Take time to notice that you have good employees, look at the cashiers, fabric cutters, framers, stockers. I was sad to see my paycheck.

Hire an actor if you must to pose as corporate with a sparkle in his/her eye and a smile to pass through all the stores to add the missing link.

""Christian" company? What church do they go to?"

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, Sundays off, store closes at 8 so you get out earlier than other stores.

Cons

The management is taught that their employees are "cogs in the machine", nothing more. They care absolutely nothing about you as a human being. You are worked like a dog (my last day I was on my hands and knees scrubbing baseboards!), you are given 6 tasks to do at once, they all have to be done yesterday, and you can forget about getting a simple word of encouragement. Thank God I'm out of there.

Advice to Management

Your employees are people. We have lives outside of Hobby Lobby. You can't run 500+ stores without us. At least pretend like we're valuable to you.