Hobby Lobby - Misleading; they run ads that claiming to be "equal opportunity employer" yet run off anyone over the age of 50. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hobby Lobby

"Misleading; they run ads that claiming to be "equal opportunity employer" yet run off anyone over the age of 50."

Former Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Orlando, FL
Former Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Orlando, FL

I worked at Hobby Lobby part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent above minimum wage pay

Cons

Department managers chosen by age and ethnicity.

Advice to Management

Quit lying and quit upselling how "Christian" you are, it's baloney.

Other Employee Reviews for Hobby Lobby

1. "Great place"

Current Employee - Stockman in Layton, UT
    Current Employee - Stockman in Layton, UT

I have been working at Hobby Lobby part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Love the work environment. Feels just like a family.

Cons

Not much turnover so ability to progress or move up is very very low and takes years.

Advice to Management

Provide more opportunities for aspiring workers to move up.

"Idiot Store Manager and Full Time Hiring Of Incompetents"

Former Employee - Department Head in Naples, FL
    Former Employee - Department Head in Naples, FL

I worked at Hobby Lobby part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If Wal-Mart Isn't Hiring and you're starving, you might get a few dollars for your ride to apply for food stamps.

Cons

Unbelievable. I opened the store, worked like a dog and asked to be in the Frame Shop. I was assigned there with two young girls (under 22) who were unemployed and working at a gas station respectively. The third associate was an older guy ( 55+) who gave me no respect. I asked to be the Department Head and was told by the Store Manager that he had someone else in mind and moved me out to the Crafts Department. He sure did have someone else in mind, I thought it was the older guy but it was his son's 23 yo BF - who I replaced in Crafts. His last and only job was moving furniture, not managing anyone, just day labor for cash after the Navy refused to enlist him for being obese.

I worked my tail off and was given the job of ordering for the Craft's Dep't which usually means you would become the Department Head and Full Time employee with benefits. I had an emergency and missed a few hours of work to find when I returned the next day I was demoted to sweeping floors. The Department Head of Crafts was given to a Venezuelan (I am Hispanic) who can barely speak or write English.

Yesterday I went by the Naples Fl Hobby Lobby store where I worked and into the lunchroom where the Department Heads and Full Times are listed. Over 60% were Hispanics all but one under 35 yoa. The Linens Head was a young Hispanic girl who I was told barely speaks at all and does not know how many inches in a foot. I am serious she can't measure a foot of linen much less manage a crew. The older guy in the frame department is working only 9 hours a week. Too old I guess for the "Christian" company.

Looking back, I got lucky. The Store Manager is hated by everyone, he cuts people hours after they have gotten to work including spinning them around and sending them home as soon as they get there. Schedules mean nothing and he has his Department Head in Frames working 15-20 unpaid hours per week.Off season is coming and everyone will bite the pay bullet. The Store Manager has prided himself in telling everyone how he ran Kroger's and Winn Dixie's...with three people.

Advice to Management

None, you know exactly what you are doing and why.