Holiday Retirement - A great learning opportunity. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Holiday Retirement

"A great learning opportunity."

Current Employee - Managers' Assistant in Orem, UT
Current Employee - Managers' Assistant in Orem, UT

Pros

Working with the residents is the best part of the job. When you treat them with respect and tend to their needs quickly, they really do seem like family.

Cons

I think the biggest "con" when working with Holiday Retirement, at least in the center I work at, is the difficulty in working with two sets of managers. Often times they do not communicate so you either have to tell both sets the same thing, or one doesn't communicate to the other that they have asked you to do a huge project and you get yelled at for being busy all day.

Advice to Management

Have more defined rolls as to what each set of managers do. Have a good communication system so that nothing gets left on post-its that fall on the floor.

Other Employee Reviews for Holiday Retirement

1. "Get over it - no one said this was a cake walk"

Current Employee - Community Manager
    Current Employee - Community Manager

Pros

When learning about the good aspects of this job, many fail to understand it is still a business. There is one ultimate goal and that is to make money. It seems if you are of an older generation, perhaps over 50, this might not be the job for you unless you understand that one concept. This is a business. At a minimum, for the first two years, you will be low man on the totem pole, and much will be expected of you. This is not a cake walk for you to enter retirement early. If you are thinking that it will be, turn around now. But if you are ready to work hard and give much this is very rewarding. Holiday is the largest retirement community with over 10,000 empoyees. You will find some negative comments on the web from a minute fraction of those 10,000. Frankly, they are expecting Holiday Retirement to be a senior charity as opposed to a business that capitalizes on providing home communities to seniors. Many are upset by the huge losses that Holiday Retirement experienced in the latest recession and felt it necessary to berate the company all over the interenet, which in turn only made their jobs harder. If you come into this job with a practical view of business, and understand how different businesses run (not just make believe ones that you hope exist and run with lofty ideals) you won't have a hard time as many of the people with poor attitudes have. Remember we live in a capatalist society. This is not a utopia or a marxist society. When the economy sufferes the business suffers. It is the implicit job the individuals at each community to set the attitude, tone, and work ethic and avoid gossip and negativity regardless.

Cons

You will work with people who don't get it, and often times thought the job would be easy.

Advice to Management

Hire younger people who understand how businesses work. Too many over 55's are looking at this job as their own segway into retirement. There are so many unemployed. Lets get some people with fires in their belly!!

"I have never been so micro-managed in my life!"

Current Employee - CSL in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - CSL in Denver, CO

Pros

Working with seniors using my past knowledge, consultative skills and love seniors!

Cons

Know absolutely nothing about selling to seniors!!! Used car sales mentality! They think aggressive selling and closing on a first visit will work with seniors! Upper management has NO LONG TERM CARE EXPERIENCE! Salary is a joke and even when you have success, it's not good enough! Holiday is an awesome product but I am ashamed and embarrassed to work for the people I work for.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. If you're going to hire successful sales persons with Senior Living experience, leave them alone and they'll succeed. And its not by making 25 calls/day! If I'm micro managed one more day, I'm walking. I guess that's why so many others have as well. Would you sell your parents this way?