Holiday Retirement - We really enjoyed giving back to the community and serving seniors. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Holiday Retirement

"We really enjoyed giving back to the community and serving seniors."

Former Employee - Community Manager in Bellingham, WA
Former Employee - Community Manager in Bellingham, WA

Pros

1. This is a very rewarding experience. Not only did we have the opportunity to give back to the community and to seniors, but we got so much from them in the love and appreciation they gave us. The reward is beyond description. Being able to serve people in their final years is one of life's greatest pleasures.
2. Very competitive salary.
3. Free room and board.
4. Very good benefits. Good health plan, very good 401K.
5. Free lodging at other communities when traveling. We have stayed at Holiday Communities in a number of states and Canada.
6. As a manager, you get to build a team and shape their focus on what really counts...having a community full of happy senors. These are some of the best people on earth. They deserve the very best we can give them.
7. It is not a job. It is a service.

Cons

Long hours and hard work. Most new hires under estimate the work and commitment it takes to successfully operate a community full of happy people. This is not a job. It is a life style.

Advice to Management

Thanks for 9 great years. We love it! Thanks for the convention in Hawaii. It was outstanding. Thanks for your support and help along the way. We needed it.

Other Employee Reviews for Holiday Retirement

"A great learning opportunity."

Current Employee - Managers' Assistant in Orem, UT
    Current Employee - Managers' Assistant in Orem, UT

Pros

Working with the residents is the best part of the job. When you treat them with respect and tend to their needs quickly, they really do seem like family.

Cons

I think the biggest "con" when working with Holiday Retirement, at least in the center I work at, is the difficulty in working with two sets of managers. Often times they do not communicate so you either have to tell both sets the same thing, or one doesn't communicate to the other that they have asked you to do a huge project and you get yelled at for being busy all day.

Advice to Management

Have more defined rolls as to what each set of managers do. Have a good communication system so that nothing gets left on post-its that fall on the floor.

2. "Get over it - no one said this was a cake walk"

Current Employee - Community Manager
    Current Employee - Community Manager

Pros

When learning about the good aspects of this job, many fail to understand it is still a business. There is one ultimate goal and that is to make money. It seems if you are of an older generation, perhaps over 50, this might not be the job for you unless you understand that one concept. This is a business. At a minimum, for the first two years, you will be low man on the totem pole, and much will be expected of you. This is not a cake walk for you to enter retirement early. If you are thinking that it will be, turn around now. But if you are ready to work hard and give much this is very rewarding. Holiday is the largest retirement community with over 10,000 empoyees. You will find some negative comments on the web from a minute fraction of those 10,000. Frankly, they are expecting Holiday Retirement to be a senior charity as opposed to a business that capitalizes on providing home communities to seniors. Many are upset by the huge losses that Holiday Retirement experienced in the latest recession and felt it necessary to berate the company all over the interenet, which in turn only made their jobs harder. If you come into this job with a practical view of business, and understand how different businesses run (not just make believe ones that you hope exist and run with lofty ideals) you won't have a hard time as many of the people with poor attitudes have. Remember we live in a capatalist society. This is not a utopia or a marxist society. When the economy sufferes the business suffers. It is the implicit job the individuals at each community to set the attitude, tone, and work ethic and avoid gossip and negativity regardless.

Cons

You will work with people who don't get it, and often times thought the job would be easy.

Advice to Management

Hire younger people who understand how businesses work. Too many over 55's are looking at this job as their own segway into retirement. There are so many unemployed. Lets get some people with fires in their belly!!