Holiday Retirement - It's a job | Glassdoor

"It's a job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

Pros

I get to work with experienced, traveled, interesting people who have become frail enough to need help to live. The residents are amazing people with amazing stories to share.

Cons

The corportation is so greedy that they've forgotten the residents. They've forgotten that overworked, underpaid, undertrained employees burn out quickly. They seem never to have known anything about customer service or public relations. The answer to every questions is "It's not my job." Only the maintenance man can be trusted!

Advice to Management

Hire a true senior care consultant who understands about independent living of older people. Sell your interested in the corporation. Join the 1% on Wall Street. You're greedy enough to qualify.

Other Employee Reviews for Holiday Retirement

"We really enjoyed giving back to the community and serving seniors."

Former Employee - Community Manager in Bellingham, WA
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Bellingham, WA

Pros

1. This is a very rewarding experience. Not only did we have the opportunity to give back to the community and to seniors, but we got so much from them in the love and appreciation they gave us. The reward is beyond description. Being able to serve people in their final years is one of life's greatest pleasures.
    2. Very competitive salary.
    3. Free room and board.
    4. Very good benefits. Good health plan, very good 401K.
    5. Free lodging at other communities when traveling. We have stayed at Holiday Communities in a number of states and Canada.
    6. As a manager, you get to build a team and shape their focus on what really counts...having a community full of happy senors. These are some of the best people on earth. They deserve the very best we can give them.
    7. It is not a job. It is a service.

Cons

Long hours and hard work. Most new hires under estimate the work and commitment it takes to successfully operate a community full of happy people. This is not a job. It is a life style.

Advice to Management

Thanks for 9 great years. We love it! Thanks for the convention in Hawaii. It was outstanding. Thanks for your support and help along the way. We needed it.

"A great learning opportunity."

Current Employee - Managers' Assistant in Orem, UT
    Current Employee - Managers' Assistant in Orem, UT

Pros

Working with the residents is the best part of the job. When you treat them with respect and tend to their needs quickly, they really do seem like family.

Cons

I think the biggest "con" when working with Holiday Retirement, at least in the center I work at, is the difficulty in working with two sets of managers. Often times they do not communicate so you either have to tell both sets the same thing, or one doesn't communicate to the other that they have asked you to do a huge project and you get yelled at for being busy all day.

Advice to Management

Have more defined rolls as to what each set of managers do. Have a good communication system so that nothing gets left on post-its that fall on the floor.