Holiday Retirement - good company values, poor compensation | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Holiday Retirement

"good company values, poor compensation"

I have been working at Holiday Retirement part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company actually cares about employees on all levels, even the hourly wage high school employees.

Cons

Unless you work in management you don't get enough hours or don't get paid enough.

Other Employee Reviews for Holiday Retirement

"Residents great, job not so great..........."

Current Employee - Community Manager
    Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time

Pros

As so many other reviews have stated, our coworkers, staff, and residents are the best part of the job. Ensuring that seniors have a safe, clean, and enjoyable environment is an honorable profession. In fact, if all we had to do as community managers was to manage the building, our staff, and take care of our residents, this would be an ideal position.

Cons

Unfortunately, due to the emphasis on sales and marketing, it is often difficult to take care of our building, staff, and residents. As mentioned in preceding comments, the conference calls are endless, the sales pressure relentless, the emphasis on tours, tours, tours, is insane, and the constant fear of losing your job as a result not having at least two tours per day, unbearable.

The company loses over 44% of its managers each year, and there is no attempt to change this trend. In fact, this trend is so prevalent throughout the communities that it is not uncommon for a single Management team to have to work 30 to 45 days straight while waiting for a second Management team to be hired and brought on board. (It takes at least two management teams to
    run a building.)

Advice to Management

The job is actually pretty simple: fill the building, keep it full, manage our budget, and keep our existing residents and staff happy. Allow us the ability to do it by simplifying our lives and not complicating it. It would be nice if we had just one supervisor instead of four or more, reduce the number of conference calls, stop all the needless micromanaging, and give us specific, realistic, and attainable goals to attain and let us be accountable to this.

"The most exhausting, exasperating experience of my 30 year work history."

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Residents. Some of the finest folks you could ever spend time with. Even the tough cookies are worth the effort, time and emotional capital. If you love people and are willing to tolerate or ignore the corporate owners it may be worth a shot. If you truly can't find other employment Holiday is always hiring. You will get plenty of exercise.

Cons

Management at every level, especially regional directors on up. Depending on who your Regional Director is, your life will likely become chaotic and unpredictable. You must be willing to relocate to any community in your District; that means you could be living in any of several different states next week; The hours are long. If your co managers are sick, transferred, terminated or attending meetings you will work their shift--without extra pay of any kind. Don't expect an apology or thank you from your Regional either. It is all part of the job. When you finally burn out or get fired for missing a sales goal you find yourself and your partner jobless, homeless, likely far from where you started. Plan accordingly.

Advice to Management

Holiday Retirement was a proud, revered, respected company built by the Bill Colson family from 1971 until 2007. Sadly, it has been gutted. The Ritz Carlton has been turned into Motel 6.