Holiday Retirement - I enjoy my job. | Glassdoor

"I enjoy my job."

Current Employee - Housekeeper in Grand Rapids, MI
Current Employee - Housekeeper in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I do not get paid enough for my physcial labor but the relationships I have gained with the residents and their families are TRULY priceless.

Cons

I would love to see this company on the TV show "Undercover Boss". The managers and/or higher-ups would not last eight minutes training with me let alone eight hours. TOO much work NOT enough time.

Advice to Management

Perhaps change the slogan from "Holiday Touch" to "Holiday Marketing" because that is all it is anyways.

Other Employee Reviews for Holiday Retirement

"6 sets of Managers in 6 months!"

Current Employee - Facilities Maintenance
    Current Employee - Facilities Maintenance

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Going home at 4:30 and knowing they wont pay for overtime.

Cons

Community Managers are forced to comply with Regional Managers wishes. Endless sales calls, endless meetings and tours. Managers do not respect their employees and force them into situations that are often unethical and potentially hazardous. Regional managers are dim-witted sheep who are a bunch of "Yes Men" and only show up to eat free lunch and tell people off. I feel bad for each and every resident who has chosen to spend their final days in such a poorly managed organization.

Advice to Management

I know you are running a company, but you dont have to shoe-string budgets to make it successful. By employing people who want to be there, ensure they want to stay there by treating and paying them fairly. Its far cheaper to continuously put new employees into the 6 month probationary period and not pay benefits, but you consistently lose the respect of residents, as you are unable to maintain a quality staff.

"good for some one who enjoys, no life, no advancement, abuse, no reprieves, no support on top or below"

Former Employee - Community Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you like people especially seniors great.... remember that most seniors come with family's. If you are smart/lucky to get on well and have a relationship with residents and family's make it smoother.

Cons

Company theology changed from people.... to sell sell sell sell sell (my understanding it is even worse now) - forget your residents that are here now, they will go away so sell sell sell sell. residents and managers are all replaceable. Burn out is inevitable. Definitely have a back up plan/place to move to. Could loose your job/home at any time day or night.

Advice to Management

Hard to advise as they "know it all" and will tell you all about it as if you know nothing. What can I say. You have to be there to believe it. Stop undermining Managers, Hire marketers and managers and office help better for all to keep good people and not burn them out