Holiday Retirement - Run run run as fast as you can! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Holiday Retirement

"Run run run as fast as you can!"

Former Employee - Community Manager in Saginaw, MI
Former Employee - Community Manager in Saginaw, MI

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with seniors can be very rewarding

Cons

Very little training, very long hours, HR hires anyone, Company talks about the Holiday touch but has no concept of what it means to care for a senior community.

Advice to Management

Too many layers of management that are poorly trained and constantly badgered by upper level management. Work on reducing turnover and appreciate your community managers.

Other Employee Reviews for Holiday Retirement

"If you like working under great pressure, very high risk, and an average pay of $3 per hour this is the place for you."

Former Employee - Community Manager in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most people say working with the residents and I do agree this has much gratification but I liked working with my spouse in a setting where the couple has much to offer the residents.

Cons

Working at Holiday requires a "Manager, Ha Ha" to work 14 hour days, work for FREE on your off days, be proficient at cleaning up blood, feces and urine daily, be willing to be up all night for "emergencies such as I dropped the TV remote and now I can't reach it. You will find dead bodies on a regular basis, and naked people in the hallways is a common site. You will serve 30 pots of coffee for 6 hours a day, call the same 50 people everyday to beg them to move into your Gracious Living Community while they are threatening you with your life if you ever call them again. The shuttle bus is always broke down. There's no money to buy shampoo for the carpet cleaner but plenty of stamps for marketing. Real men will eat quiche 3 times a week for supper. You will know every policeman/fireman/rescue worker and EMT on a first name basis. Your regional supervisors will threaten you daily or fire you weekly. The meals included in your compensation package are a joke because they run out of food before its your turn to eat. The luxury apartment offered as compensation is a 540 sq. ft. apartment that rents for $400 per month down the street, and then you get to rent a $400 per month apartment to a trusting senior for only $3300 per month. Congratulations are in order if you last 6 months. You out lasted 95% of the other deceived hard working honest couples in your training class... and I can go on and on and on and on and on..........

Advice to Management

If you want to keep you REIT (Real Estate Investment Trust) designation have your superiors stop telling Holiday "management" employees to "never pick up residents off of the floor because you know we are independent living and all the while smiling and winking at them." Meaning, you know each case is different so you have to decide who to pick up and who not to pick up, because we can't have a firetruck and ambulance outside the front door all day long! We must protect the REIT at all cost because we don't want to pay all of them taxes. (Actually taught at training and by the on-site training managers, yep that's right.)

"Worst corporate bullies ever!!!! Run, don't walk away from this corporation!!!"

Former Employee - Community Sales Leader in Mid City West, PA
    Former Employee - Community Sales Leader in Mid City West, PA

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The reward of helping the elderly. A few good managers and other co-workers made the job okay at times.

Cons

Worked at Holiday as a Community Sales Leader for over a year. Was told in school, their "Holiday University" training, that the average time employed for my position was 5.5 months! Still, couldn't of imagined all the horrible and illegal stuff that they do everyday. Micro-managed and bullied and barely recognized by the company when you are making the quota of 4 move-in's a month. They treat all their employees awful, so morale is generally so poor and everything is "fear" based. Most of the upper management is held in "high regard" for bullying and for using intimidation. You would never be rewarded for being "sensitive" or "human"!

Advice to Management

With the pages and pages written here to management, it's pretty obvious they do not care. However, treating people with just fundamental respect might be a good start. The poor community managers give so much and get so little in return, they should be paid more and treated much better. Why is no one caring in senior management about what is going on at most communities with the constant abuse? I guess it's all about money in the end and nothing else.