Holiday Retirement - Be prepared for the worst and you may survive - Community Manager | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Holiday Retirement

"Be prepared for the worst and you may survive - Community Manager"

Current Employee - Community Manager
Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I personally enjoy most residents and most staff. I also enjoy working with my spouse. I am a very positive person and also really enjoy the sales side including making calls and tours. You can save a lot of money/pay off debts as there are almost no expenses: housing, utilities, meals, housekeeping provided...and you walk to work (no driving or weather).

Cons

As a manager; you will clean up after residents (imagine the worst)! You will have to serve and bus tables when staff are late or no-shows. You will make lots of phone calls (marketing). You will deal with lazy fellow managers. Some managers are so obese or unable to do the job that you will be doing their work also. You will have to do reports and be on conferance calls multiple times per day. Your training will not prepare you for all this happening to you. Imagine having a server not show up for lunch on Saturday (common occurrence). You are serving, your spouse/partner is pouring coffee (holiday touch), the phone is ringing (no receptionist), a family walks in and wants to take a tour and the emergency system sounds (a resident needs you in their apartment). You finally get through all this and a resident comes in to say a resident has had diarrhea in the elevetor. You get to clean it up (no help on weekends). Oh, yea, don't forget to get back in the office and make those marketing calls and be on the regional conference call. This has happend to us several times with variations. If you can handle this, this is the job for you!!

Advice to Management

I have no advise as this is the job and no one is willing to change it from above.

Other Employee Reviews for Holiday Retirement

"I wish I had a better first job experience."

Former Employee - Server in Newberg, OR
    Former Employee - Server in Newberg, OR

I worked at Holiday Retirement part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Server position hours are great for a student. The bonds and relationships you are able to create with the residents are priceless.

Cons

Bad management. Constantly firing (or people quitting) and hiring people. Too many employees for shift requirements so getting a lot of shifts is impossible. Too high of job expectations in the given shift time. Poor training. Pretty terrible working environment.

Advice to Management

You need to cut back on the amount of servers you have so everyone can get a good amount of shifts. You can't just solve all problems by firing people. The expectations on time are unrealistic. Unless you have a certain time that the residents must be out of the dining room, servers can't control how long it takes to do certain tasks. Also, if you want your servers to be time efficient they need better training.

"Just Beat Me"

Current Employee - Community Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The wonderful residents that you just love

Cons

Not enough room! So many conference calls. Feel guilty when you sell an apartment to a senior.
    The regional team is relentless. No love for the seniors or what this industry is about. Just sell sell sell They all need to get a real life outside of the company. BUT< their heart would not know how to love someone outside of money and cut throat ways. They will look at this and laugh, but what is sad is that it is true. There is no respect for the upper management or trainers of the company. Very sad, because this could be a wonderful company to work for

Advice to Management

GO sell graveyards or cars