Holiday Retirement - Be prepared for the worst and you may survive - Community Manager | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Holiday Retirement

"Be prepared for the worst and you may survive - Community Manager"

Current Employee - Community Manager
Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I personally enjoy most residents and most staff. I also enjoy working with my spouse. I am a very positive person and also really enjoy the sales side including making calls and tours. You can save a lot of money/pay off debts as there are almost no expenses: housing, utilities, meals, housekeeping provided...and you walk to work (no driving or weather).

Cons

As a manager; you will clean up after residents (imagine the worst)! You will have to serve and bus tables when staff are late or no-shows. You will make lots of phone calls (marketing). You will deal with lazy fellow managers. Some managers are so obese or unable to do the job that you will be doing their work also. You will have to do reports and be on conferance calls multiple times per day. Your training will not prepare you for all this happening to you. Imagine having a server not show up for lunch on Saturday (common occurrence). You are serving, your spouse/partner is pouring coffee (holiday touch), the phone is ringing (no receptionist), a family walks in and wants to take a tour and the emergency system sounds (a resident needs you in their apartment). You finally get through all this and a resident comes in to say a resident has had diarrhea in the elevetor. You get to clean it up (no help on weekends). Oh, yea, don't forget to get back in the office and make those marketing calls and be on the regional conference call. This has happend to us several times with variations. If you can handle this, this is the job for you!!

Advice to Management

I have no advise as this is the job and no one is willing to change it from above.

Other Employee Reviews for Holiday Retirement

"Could've been great"

Current Employee - Sales Leader
    Current Employee - Sales Leader

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Like working with seniors. Seeing someone happy being in a community is what it's all about. Hitting your bonus pay was pretty nice too. When it happened.

Cons

To many reports and incompetent management. Complete lack of understanding about cyclical sales. Good managers get run off at the community. It leaves the sales team with doing to many jobs. Did I mention the reports?

"If you like being micromanaged to the point of anxiety, then this is the job for you!"

Former Employee - Sales Leader
    Former Employee - Sales Leader

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Serving the Senior Population. The residents and prospective residents you work with.

Cons

Micromanagement. Unrealistic expectations. Poor direction from upper management. High turnover. Corporate is bipolar.

Advice to Management

Provide the "Holiday Touch" to your employees. Value them. Value the benefit of employee retention. You lose good employees by the way you treat your employees. The constant "restructuring" and micromanaging is belittling to your employees. Also, consider your pricing. Not every market is the same. Your smaller markets should not have the same requirement expectations as your larger metropolitan areas. Be realistic.