Hollister Co. - Meh. | Glassdoor

"Meh."

Former Employee - Model in Las Vegas, NV
Former Employee - Model in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Hollister Co. part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people, somewhat good music (back when they played indie), and alright clothes.

Its an okay job to gain register experience and have extra money.

Cons

The discount is not that great. While other companies do offer their employees a good enough discount to support the brand, Hollister does not. Often times, stores get coupons for customers and the discount is much more than it is for the employee.

The people at the store I worked for were nice once you got to know them. However, there was a lot of jealousy between the girls. If you were considered good-looking then you worked on the salesfloor as a "Model". The people who were better than good-looking had their pictures taken and sent to be approved to be a "casting model" for the company. Those who were okay-looking worked in the stockroom.

I know the company has been accused of discriminating and I strongly believe so. I watched my store manager turn away potentially promising employees because they didn't have the "look" that she wanted. She later explained to me that 50% of the interviews are based on looks and that the answers don't matter.

(If you are interested in working here, the only thing you'll need to wear is plaid, dark jeggings, leather flip flops, no make-up and no accessories to the interview. Its a very "natural" company.)

The dress code is strict. No make-up, no accessories, no crazy hair colors, no processed hair, no unnatural hair colors, no french tip manicures, nails have to be cut short and with no nail polish, no other jean brands (Levi's is strictly prohibited!), and you are only allowed to wear what is in season. Girls HAVE TO wear flip flops. For guys, if you don't like wearing flip flops, you are allowed to wear Vans. BUT, only grey or checkered slip-ons. Absolutely no laces.

There is little to no customer service involved. Customers end up purchasing Hollister clothes because its a brand. The brand sells itself. My managers were more concerned with me fixing a table than helping out customers.

There is also no way to move up in stores unless you have a college degree. I worked there for 2 years and ended up getting my hours cut from 32 hours to 5 hours just because I decided to pick up a second job to try to learn something different. No matter how hard I worked, (off the clock often times) there was no acknowledgement. Its an unprofessional environment to say the least.
Managers don't seem to do much. I remember a store manager stepping to the stockroom for 3 hours and she told me to watch the floor. I later heard she was chit-chatting with the district manager over their boy troubles.

Advice to Management

Give constructive advice to your employees and don't be so laid-back with them. Hollister is supposed to be fun, but you have to draw the line when things get unprofessional.

Other Employee Reviews for Hollister Co.

1. "Flexible part-time job"

Current Employee - Model in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Model in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Hollister Co. part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible with school schedules and activities. Attractive coworkers. Tasks are simple and don't require much physical or mental exertion. Relatively low levels of stress.

Cons

Low pay. Hard to get a lot of hours if you need them since the company is always hiring and recruiting new associates.

Advice to Management

Find managers that have strong interpersonal communication skills to avoid workplace conflict and confusion

2. "Perfect High School Job"

Former Employee - Model in Exton, PA
    Former Employee - Model in Exton, PA

I worked at Hollister Co. part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Meet great friends, not hard work, discount on clothes 40% on somethings, 20% on everything else, except clearance, fun music and environment to work

Cons

low pay, customers make the store a mess, may have to stay late to clean up store, management can sometimes belittle you