Hollywood Video - There is a reason why the company filed for bankruptcy and closed! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hollywood Video

"There is a reason why the company filed for bankruptcy and closed!"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Hollywood Video full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Flexible schedule
-easy to move up
-fun environment
-free rentals and access to movies before they were released
-employee discounts on games and accessories
-great employees with a drive to succeed
Everyday was a fun day on the job, because, as management, I made sure my team was pumped up enough to help customers and make sales. The people we would hire helped create a culture that spawned a district wide family. Everyone at the store levels knew each other and would consistently help each other out, and there was never animosity just a friendly camaraderie. I can't say I miss the friends I made there, because we still, mostly, keep in touch, but I do miss the culture we created.

Cons

Everything else that has to do with the company, and it was a pain to deal with anything at the store level. I say it was a pain because they changed their minds on everything a daily basis, and it was hard to complete everything you had to do within time limits and no hours for man power. They made horrible decisions and wasted money on the simplest things like marketing signage that would sit in the back office for years never to be used. There is a reason why they went belly up, and the employees had no control over it. HR was a joke and had no real authority over the elitism in upper management positions. They found any reason to fire you if they didn't like you, and lie so you couldn't collect unemployment. The pay was lousy and for the amount of work you put in was not enough for what they asked of you, and towards the end they just didn't bother to pay certain people.

Other Employee Reviews for Hollywood Video

1. "no promotions from within"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Seattle, WA

I worked at Hollywood Video full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You got to rent free movies. But that's about it.

Cons

Poor culture - they want Hollywood to be your whole life. Low pay, unorganized management, no promotions from within.

2. "Great people, but low pay!"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Hollywood Video full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small stores mean less square footage to worry about during shift. Flexible schedules, great people, easy inventory and stock management.

Cons

Low pay, short on benefits. Because stores are smaller in size, fewer positions available, meaning less opportunity to move up.

Advice to Management

Listen more to the people who actually work in and run stores as opposed to upper management who has little to no retail experience and thus no working knowledge of how the stores actually operate.