HomeAway - Best Co. I have ever worked for. Seriously. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for HomeAway

"Best Co. I have ever worked for. Seriously."

Current Employee - IT Manager in Austin, TX
Current Employee - IT Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Offices designed to make you comfortable and productive from the furnishings to the kitchens to the art.
High quality people from the C-Team down. Few losers in the mix and they tend to get pushed out soon enough.
Challenging work that makes an immediate, visible impact..
Competitive pay. I check my comp with PayScale.com occasionally and HomeAway is on the mark.

Cons

There are pockets of less than stellar management below the C-Team level.
The Co. is struggling to keep true to it's cultural roots while acting like a highly visible public company. That causes some pain and awkwardness at times.

Advice to Management

Invest in management training and make it mandatory for onboarding and advancement.
Get some outside advice on successfully transitioning a culture from startup to public. It would be a shame for this culture to get lost.
Make 360 reviews for management an annual event. People don't leave HomeAway, they leave bad managers at HomeAway. I've seen this happen more than once in only two years.

Other Employee Reviews for HomeAway

"Start-up environment, BIG company. Don't be fooled."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time

Pros

Work schedule, Community, Smart Coworkers,Facilities, Benefits and Work Culture

Cons

They need to hire. If someone leaves the job the workload is significantly higher.

"A great company that promotes a family atmosphere"

Current Intern - Intern in Austin, TX
    Current Intern - Intern in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The best thing about Homeaway is the corporate culture. Everyone here is very friendly and encourage you to do the best. As an intern, I didn't have that much of a burden on work. It was just perfect. Also, there's a cafeteria with food/drinks that you can take advantage of everyday! It's a cozy workplace

Cons

There really wasn't much drawbacks. I guess the only drawback is the career opportunity. If you intend on staying with Homeaway forever, then it's no issue. But if you're starting at HomeAway right after college, it'll be hard to go into the bigger industries. Perhaps it's better to start at large corporations and business before moving down to a smaller scaled company.

Advice to Management

Just keep on doing what you're doing!