Honda R & D Americas - The work is interesting, gets dragged down by managment | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Honda R & D Americas

"The work is interesting, gets dragged down by managment"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Raymond, OH
Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Raymond, OH

I worked at Honda R & D Americas as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Get to see behind the scenes how every part of the car gets developed.
Great perks and benefits.
Flex start.

Cons

There is very little Honda led innovation. I.e. most things are carryover, or copying systems competitors already have in place.
Unlike the name of the company, almost all the work is development, little to no research.
If you have a good idea, everybody want to shoot it down if it goes against their preconceived notions.
Depending on the group youre in, you are expected to work significant overtime.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees. Give good pay.

Other Employee Reviews for Honda R & D Americas

"Interesting Work, Good People, Insultingly Low Pay, Terrible Work-Life Balance"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Raymond, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Raymond, OH

I have been working at Honda R & D Americas full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-Interesting Work
    Simple, you get to design some of the best automobiles on the road. More than that, unlike the big three, you are actually responsible for the entire design from start to finish (concept, CAD data, cost, test verification, mfg verification, countermeasures, mass production verification). Too bad the pay doesn't match this responsibility level.

-People
    There are a lot of good and smart people at Honda R&D and working with the right people can make all the difference in your daily job to keep things interesting and fun. Yes, working with Japanese engineers can be challenging, but you just have know when to let things go and when to stand your ground.

Cons

Pay:
    Management just finished a two year investigation and concluded that we are equal to or just under 50th percentile pay in the industry. Meanwhile we have been losing good engineers for the past two years. When we asked what the countermeasure direction was, they replied that going forward they are going to make sure we are matching 50th percentile compensation. The idea that Honda R&D management believes that a good engineer would continue to endure the ridiculous workload, schedules, lack of work-life balance and terrible senior management for industry 50th percentile pay is an obvious indicator of just how out of touch they are with their employees.

Work-Life Balance:
    Basically you have two choices-
    1. Recognize the unmanageable workload and totally unrealistic schedules set by management and do what you can in a reasonable amount of time, miss your deadlines and enjoy some time with your family and life in general. This will result in slightly lower raises and poor reviews from management but at least you get to see your kids.
    2. Give up your personal and family time to work ridiculous amounts of overtime in order to meet the unrealistic schedules set by management. This will result in a slightly better (although terribly inadequate) raise than choosing option one and you will be rewarded with even more work and responsibility by management when they recognize you as a true "company man".

Advice to Management

-Pay 75th percentile and above pay or watch the experienced engineers continue to walk out the door
    -Stop blindly setting unrealistic project schedules that everyone knows are impossible to meet
    -Take the company back by putting the Engineers in charge instead of an inept HR department that has no idea what is most important in our company.

2. "Some days I love it, other days I hate it and want to leave."

Current Employee - Design Engineer III in Raymond, OH
    Current Employee - Design Engineer III in Raymond, OH

I have been working at Honda R & D Americas full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Cool benifts. Can check out cars, have employee race team.

Cons

Work too many hours. Japaneese staff is very frustration to work for some times

Advice to Management

Management doesn't have a clue what the design or test engineers do. Im not sure what they manage?