Honeywell - great experience | Glassdoor

"great experience"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Honeywell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of training opportunities and classes.

Cons

No opportunity for advancement or movement

Other Employee Reviews for Honeywell

"OK, pretty stable company, but penny-pinching accountants run the show"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Honeywell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The best reasons would be working with good people. The other engineers, 1st-level managers, and other "individual contributors" at Honeywell are personable, and generally competent at their jobs. I really like my direct supervisor, and the other engineers I work with on a day-to-day basis. Also, at least at my location, it's very flexible on working hours and telecommuting. They don't ask me to work OT unless they really need it - which happens rarely. The retirement contribution is pretty good if you've been there for a while.

Cons

Since 2009, the general raise pool has been 0, 0, 2.5, 2.5, 0, and 2.5. This when company profits, and executive compensation, have skyrocketed. It''s tough to take - going to quarterly meetings where we hear how much money we're making, but then we can't afford raises.
    The other major con is the mass bureaucracy that I suppose may be typical at many large companies. How many managers, project managers, asst project mangaers, project engineers, PP&C people, etc., do we need on a project. It often seems like there's more managers than technical people working on a project. And when you look at our org chart near the top, Honeywell has dozens of Presidents, hundreds, if not thousands, of Vice Presidents, and on and on. Honeywell is a functional organization now, too, which means that HR only cares about HR, engineering only cares about engineering, project managers only care about that. It results in constant top-down directives that do nothing to improve the product, customer experience, or working environment of employees.

As just a minor example of how this translates to my job, there's been a hard, hard cap on promotions above my current level since 2008. Whereas before a decent engineer might've expected to make Principal Engineer by his mid-30s or certainly early 40s, now there is a hard cap that has no forseeable end date. This is because one of the accountants running the show said "Hey, we've got too many people at that level!" and then just top-down dictated no more promotions. They've gotten away with it because the economy's been so crappy that no one has wanted to leave. But if things pick up, they'll have young people leaving. Also, they've got a huge contingent of employees in their late 50s to early 60s who'll be retiring in the next 5-15 years. Their solution is to hire Puerto Ricans, Czechs, and others overseas. They are very penny-wise and pound-foolish on this and many, many other decisions.

Also, we have to pay a lot for our health insurance. A co-worker of mine saves $5K/year by being on his wife's plan vs what he'd pay at Honeywell.

Advice to Management

If we can afford $70million for Dave Cote in 2013, we could've afforded the crappy 2.5% raises we had become accustomed to. Also, treating your employees as an expense to be managed rather than your most valuable resource will come back to bite you when the economy turns around.

2. "Disapointing"

I have been working at Honeywell full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working with other smart people.

Cons

Not treated very well there.