Honeywell - Contract worker at Honeywell | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Honeywell

"Contract worker at Honeywell"

Former Contractor - Electronic Technician I in Olathe, KS
Former Contractor - Electronic Technician I in Olathe, KS

I worked at Honeywell as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great on the job training and reference materials to work from. Great co-workers provide a relaxed and fun environment.

Cons

As a contract worker there is little opportunity to obtain a permanent position.

Other Employee Reviews for Honeywell

"Important Work in a Dilbert Environment"

Current Employee - Engineer III Electrical in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Engineer III Electrical in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Honeywell full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to work on some very interesting and unique technology that is important to national defense. Pay is decent/good for the Kansas City area. Doesn't usually require working very long hours. I refuse to use the term "work-life balance".

Cons

This plant has been doing this work since the 1940s, but corporate management has changed over time. Over the past 5-10 years, Honeywell corporate has become more actively involved in dictating how the plant operates. This includes the HOS (Honeywell Operating System), and a GE style human resources approach, among other things.

The core of HOS is basically quick and efficient morning department meetings. This is wrapped in a bunch of fancy corporate window dressing. By a "bunch" I mean that there is a senior manager position ($120k+ salary) devoted to HOS.

An example of how things devolved in Dilbert territory: Part of HOS is the concept of 5S, which is 5 words that essentially translate into "keep things clean, sorted, and organized". By the way, 5S originates from a Japanese system which uses 5 words that start with a phonetic "S". So they naturally found 5 English words that also start with an "S". Not gimmicky at all.

Anyway, 5S is typically used in a manufacturing environment, which does make some sense. But they decided to also apply it - without modification - to engineering office space. This means at the end of the day, your desk is supposed to look a certain way, with a neat stack of paper and everything in predefined places. I've heard from multiple reliable sources that they're soon going to start opening our drawers and cabinets to make sure they're also in compliance.

Doesn't sound *too* unreasonable yet, right? Just wait. Every desk has a trash can, and the trash is taken out on a daily basis. Yet still, there is a 5S related rule that dictates that any kind of food waste cannot be disposed of in the trash can. There is a Honeywell corporate guy where part of his job is to go around and inspect the trash cans to make sure this is not occurring. And not just food itself, even a food wrapper is an infringement.

Honeywell has also pushed a counterproductive human resources strategy. Every year, they target 10% of the work force to be rated under-performing. The system is known as the 9-block, which is a grid of performance and behaviors. If you are rated below by your manager, your job is in immediate jeopardy and you must pass a "Performance Improvement Plan" within 30-90 days or you are let go.

The problem with this system is the quota. The distribution is supposed to be plant-wide, but it is in reality broken down by department, so frequently a manager is forced to rate someone below, even if they don't have an employee that deserves it. The performance review often reads like a litany of trumped-up charges, exaggerating every possible behavior or event possible, real or perceived.

On top of that, upper management will lie to your face that there even is a quota, or how it is distributed. All you need to do is ask the right person that used to be a manager, and they will confirm what I just stated. Lest you think I am just a disgruntled employee, I have been rated below, average, and above average in the 3+ years I've worked there. The above average rating came with a promotion and a decent raise.

So in closing, you get to work on some very interesting and classified technology that is very important to national defense. But you also have a guy who makes more money than you inspecting your trash can for candy wrappers, and you could be thrown under the bus to make quota using an HR system pioneered by General Electric that they themselves abandoned for being counter productive. If you can tolerate the corporate BS, it really isn't a bad job.

Advice to Management

Even if the management agreed with some of what I listed under "cons", I'm not sure there's much they can do about it. It probably comes from above them in corporate management.

2. "Overall, positive but needs more energy to go to next level"

Former Employee - Business Consultant in Wilmington, DE
    Former Employee - Business Consultant in Wilmington, DE

I worked at Honeywell full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Enjoyed my colleagues. But management wasn't focused more on checking the boxes rather than implementing a strategy to win more market.

Cons

Too many "old dogs". Needs new energy to really tackle the industry and markets.

Advice to Management

Share the wealth. Let some of the new guys have a chance to grow some of the base accounts. Otherwise, people will leave if they can't be successful.