Honeywell - Diversified multinational that provides challenging & interesting work, shareholder focus drives behaviors. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Honeywell

"Diversified multinational that provides challenging & interesting work, shareholder focus drives behaviors."

Current Employee - Director in Torrance, CA
Current Employee - Director in Torrance, CA

Pros

Numerous growth opportunities. Excellent training ground. World class employees. Ability to move between industries and stay with one company. Dynamic business environment with regular change to shed the dead wood.

Cons

Employees sometimes sacrificed to please shareholder demands. Globalization rules the day in recent years. Short term success focus often at the expense of long term success. Sink or swim culture where some good people end up drowning if too ambitious.

Advice to Management

Strategic plans should extend beyond 5 yrs. Skills and knowledge need to be valued more than absolute quantity of heads in a given region.

Other Employee Reviews for Honeywell

"Not horrible, not great...."

Current Employee - Customer & Product Support Sr. Technical Manager in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Great benefits, Dedicated hard working employees.

Cons

Massive lack of valuing the “workforce”. We have lost the focus of making this a family away from your family. We spend more time with our co-workers than our actual families. (Especially now that people are expected to work 50/60yhrs a week, while being compensated for 40). 10 years ago (Prior to GE’s interests and Allied Signal’s purchase) We were a family oriented business that people looked forward to serving 30-40 years and retiring from. Now we are a company that people can’t wait to find something better. It is made clear (By Sr. Leadership) that if you want to be compensated fairly, you will need to leave. We fail to invest in our people on the hopes that they will serve us loyally for their entire career. Failing to understand that hiring new employees to replace the high talent that leave for greener pastures costs a great deal of money, time, and greatly affects our ability to serve our customers (negatively)

HR is there to protect Honeywell, not the people.

Outsourcing, and reductions in force; I am not talking about India and China here, there is a need to have diversity and coverage globally. However, years ago Honeywell manufactured the best Avionics in the industry and had an outstanding global support force. Now we are more interested in saving $10 a card or box that we can have some other business or country manufacture for us. Problem here is that we lose quality control of that product and it ends up costing us millions when they fail to perform at what we have guaranteed our customers they will. Our world class global support has been cut to the bone forcing Avionics and Mechanical FSE’s to perform as “nose to tail” FSE’s.. Customers are not impressed. We are told to tell customers this is in an effort to be “Best in Class” (BIC) a term that most customers will tell you we “WERE” BIC prior to our re-org..

Leadership and its decisions are focused on two things and two things only; Stock performance, and Shareholder satisfaction. Customer and Employee satisfaction are distant after thoughts,.. In that order. Decissions and investments are focused on the short term vision,.. what will effect Stock performance and Shareholder satisfaction TODAY.. Until we realize that Stock performance and Shareholder satisfaction are byproducts of Customer and Employee satisfaction we will continue to be mediocre at best.

Most of the workforce is grossly under paid, some in excess of $25,000 below the lower range of recommended salary ranges and what competitors are paying

And finally, our performance management process is broken badly. We are forced to differentiate our employees by a “numerical distribution” HR, Legal and Sr. Leadership will tell you that this is not the case. I am here to tell you it most definitely is.. We are forced in many cases to rate some of our high performers as mediocre, and even worse our “Steady Eddies” as low performers.. In order to hit our pre determined “numerical distribution” So much so that managers are being told that you will not differentiate your employees, you will be “differentiated”

Until our executives understand that bonuses of up to 500 times the average salaries of their engineering force (Who by the way do not get ANY bonus) we will never be "Best in Class".

Advice to Management

Recognize and pay your people competitively and Fairly. This is actually costing us more money in the long run.

Focus on making this a place people look forward to coming into work again, and more importantly a place people want to remain at until they retire

HR needs to be there for the people, or the people will find someone to represent them. Yes, people will get sick of being taken advantage of. Want to keep the union out of Honeywell?? It's simple,.. TREAT YOUR EMPLOYEES LIKE GOLD,... or at least fairly..

Either bring back manufacturing or at least better contracting processes to allow us full quality control of those products that we outsource and still put our names on. It is Honeywell that the customers are furious with when they fail to perform at guaranteed MTBF/MTBUR

This seems like to most simple to me but, Focus on your employees! Treat them like gold. It is the best investment you can make. Stress that Customers are job number one. If you have high employee and customer satisfaction you will undoubtedly have positive stock performance and shareholder satisfaction. This is not rocket science and is working great for many companies that are embracing it.

From an engineer’s point of view:

High Employee + Customer Satisfaction = Positive Stock performance and Shareholder satisfaction.

Positive Stock performance and Shareholder satisfaction does not cause High Employee + Customer Satisfaction

Share some of those ridiculous bonuses with the people that are actually responsible for making this company successful. VP and presidential bonuses are enough to make those busting their asses for this company sick to their stomachs..

Let me end this with stating, I am not a disgruntled employee. On the contrary, I love Honeywell, and am passionate about its success. I can only hope that this gets read by the right people that also care enough to make the success of this company more of a priority than the bonus amount they can get by "hitting the numbers"

2. "HR manager"

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Good company; lots of opportunity if you are in a centeral location; performance driven for a large company. Recommend working there.

Cons

Heavily matrixed; must be able to opperate in a large org. environment. Lots of approvals required for change. Overall good company.

Advice to Management

continue to cut through redtap. Balance need for moving work to low cost countries with impact on the business in a region