Hormel - Manager | Glassdoor

"Manager"

I have been working at Hormel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Safety and Quality are important. CEO is fantastic, great views for the company.

Cons

Work ALL THE TIME!. No work life balance, narrow minded coworkers, conservative company. Most manufacturing companies are in remote areas or small towns with limited access to extra curricular activities. Corporate office is in small town and you live next to your boss. Not a company that keeps or attracts top talent. Upper management does not align themselves with future growth of employees. Unless you golf with your BOSS - good luck on getting a promotion or stellar annual review. My superior struggled at talking to me daily - as if it was a hassle. Promote diversity yet have NONE. Behind the ball on business excellence and lean manufacturing. Back to top talent.... can't keep top talent when working conditions are work, work, work and the longer you stay at work (even if you are not working yet talking or playing on the computer) the better an employee you are. So, if you stay at work for 12-14 hours you are seen as an excellent employee. I tell you what.... if I'm at work for 12 hours managing a 8 hour shift I'm a POOR manager. I'm there 9-10 hours and I'm called part timer! I'm about business excellence and doing it right the first time. I don't need to work beyond those hours to get my work done. Work environment is cold and wet and you stand on concrete for your 10-12 hour day at least 6 days a week. No flexibility. Limited community involvement.

Advice to Management

Kenexa survey results are not coming fast enough! Devote your time to work balance and retaining top talent. Move corporate offices out of Austin MN and work toward TRUE training and continuous improvement. Have your upper managers at the plants truly follow a development plan for your younger managers. We are being neglected because too many of the wrong people have been promoted. You are not retaining TOP TALENT! Your competitors are taking your good people because the wrong people are getting the promotions.

Other Employee Reviews for Hormel

"Pretty happy with experience"

Pros

Great Salary, challenging, lots of opportunities

Cons

Corporate office is located in Austin, MN and there are very few jobs for peoples spouses who do not work at Hormel

"Great Experience"

Current Employee - Production Supervisor
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor

I have been working at Hormel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good opportunities for college grads.

Cons

You work a lot of weekends.