Hortonworks - Smartest People I have Ever Worked With | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hortonworks

"Smartest People I have Ever Worked With"

Current Employee - Territory Account Manager in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Territory Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hortonworks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone here is HIGH energy, fast-paced, and committed to the success of our customers. I came over from a large Enterprise Software firm and its extremely clear just how poorly those SW orgs were run

Cons

We are growing - there are new things learned on a daily basis regarding the organization and what might need tinkering. Its easy to get thing done, but as we grow - there are more regimented policies being put in place. Not a bad thing, but different than a few months back.

Advice to Management

Everything has been going great, some of the policies are a bit much (although I get why they are there) - staying personal is key as everything is fast paced.

Other Employee Reviews for Hortonworks

"Territory Account Manager"

Current Employee - Territory Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Territory Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Hortonworks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For a young company I was surprised with how well they have their act together. All the tools and systems are not only in place but are far better than what I was used to coming over from Oracle. Sale comp is very good and there are reps here making once in a lifetime type money.

The Big Data & Hadoop space is growing fast and this company is in the top 3 if not paced to take over the leader spot within the next 3-6 months.

Cons

It's hard to come up with any yet, I'm sure there are some challenges to come but so far everything has been great.

"Cutting edge technology, everything open source, great people and culture"

Current Employee - Member Technical Staff in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Member Technical Staff in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Hortonworks full-time

Pros

Nothing proprietary. Whatever you write goes back to open source. There is no where you can get to work with so many open source committers/contributors including several of the inventors of Hadoop and YARN. Although not a small company in overall size, it is still a fairly small engineering org in HQ. The teams working on several different open source projects are very small, so you get a chance to make a big impact.

Pre-IPO company stocks give you a lot of hope and enthusiasm to make this company successful. 100% insurance premium for family, unlimited vacation, lunch, snacks, valet parking, on-site massage, regular team events and company picnic - all these have become very common in almost all startup companies and they are here too :)

Cons

The senior executive or management team seems to be quite aloof. Surprisingly we don't get to see them at all, specifically the CEO.

Advice to Management

Senior management needs to be more engaged with the employees and provide timely company updates on progress, roadmap and financials as well. They need to improve on transparency. After all, we are all part of the ship - success or failure. I have seen before that the mere appearance of the CEO once in a while in the office floor creates an adrenaline rush in all employees to do their best. Think how effective the transparency will be.

Hortonworks Response

Aug 18, 2014 – Manager of Recruiting

Thank you for your comments and we are striving to slow down a bit. The executive leadership is adding up frequent flyer miles at a rapid pace! We hope you were able to attend and enjoy the company... More